Turntable advice

omar4

I found a Dual CS-606 turntable at a thrift store and looking for info. It looks to be in mint condition, it has an aftermarket Ortofon LM 10 cartridge. I need to get some new speaker wire before I hook it up to my Kenwood KA-7100. What should I be cautious of when playing for the first time, I've never had a turntable before and thought I couldn't go wrong for $22.50. I went to a Rickie Lee Jones concert in Park City UT a couple of weeks ago and overpaid for her first album as my first listening experience. I tried to attach more photos, but says too large and I'm not savvy enough. 

• Like 1

just basic stuff first:..check the needle tip, make sure the diamond is still there and the cantilever isn't tweaked, then double check the tonearm balance and anti-skate settings are correct for the cartridge (might take a brief visit to the interweb), make sure the ground wire (if present) is attached to your amp....

16 minutes ago, omar4 said:

I found a Dual CS-606 turntable at a thrift store and looking for info. It looks to be in mint condition, it has an aftermarket Ortofon LM 10 cartridge. I need to get some new speaker wire before I hook it up to my Kenwood KA-7100. What should I be cautious of when playing for the first time, I've never had a turntable before and thought I couldn't go wrong for $22.50. I went to a Rickie Lee Jones concert in Park City UT a couple of weeks ago and overpaid for her first album as my first listening experience. I tried to attach more photos, but says too large and I'm not savvy enough. 

Turntables are ancient but very historically ubiquitous sound reproduction devices! I LOVE them too! Analog Audio at it's finest!

Get and use a Discwasher, a record cleaner, before each play.

John Kuthe...

Clean your records....clean the stylus.  For the stylus I like Onzow's Zerodust.  For your records make a record cleaning solution with 3 parts distilled water to 1 part 97% isoprophyl alcohol (not rubbing alcohol which contains Lanolin a skin conditioner) and 1 drop of Dawn dish washing liquid.  Use a record brush or pad with the solution. Get a manual if you don't have one.  Then do what hanksjim1 said above.

Sorry to say that I wouldn't touch that needle the first time to a record I valued, certainly not a brand new one.  Start with a record from the "not entirely glad I bought it" section of your stash and see how it does.  The stylus tip could be all jagged for any of several reasons and it might damage whatever it's tracing.

• Like 4

I had a rim drive Dual back in the day, maybe something like 1229?  I liked it but I was using a Pickering cartridge with the brush on it and the platter didn't want to spin exactly the same speed across the disk so I eventually went with something different.  I'm a fan of their gimbal system.

Unsure if the price shown is what it sold for or was merely what was asked for: http://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/ca.html?ca=175184 (or what the exchange rate was at the time).  Sounds like you did well if it all works correctly.

Thanks for the advice. I thought the same thing about the record, I will go buy an Andy Williams record or something at a thrift store to try out ha. I'm trying to figure out if it has the adapter for the needle that is installed, or, if it was not necessary? I found some cheap speaker wire and will try that in the meantime,  just need to get on monoprice and order some.