Eliptrac Horn project completed

I joined the KAC forum last November after acquiring a nice pair of 1979 La Scalas seeking help and advice from fellow members. This was my initial post: 

Building the Eliptrac horns from Dave Harris's Eliptrac 400 wooden horn kit was the biggest and very labor intensive part of my diy project, but the results have been phenomenal and well worth the effort. I got the  PRV ADM25-50 from Parts Express as the 1" to 2" adaptor needed to fit the K-55 midrange to the wood horn. Rather than trying to modify the La Scala cabinet, I simply placed the Eliptrac on top, allowing me to keep the La Scala intact, and give me more flexibility for future changes to my system. So here are some photos:

fUGGLBHNUjAoPylvIb8vc6vaK6pAUzxKwYkQ9e5G

I was experimenting with finishes over the bare mdf, and found that Varatane Triple Thick Polyurethane worked great at filling voids and leaving no brushstrokes. It is self-leveling. 

by2Q0WhN9eJA4sSoTTfbNqa33p00QyhH8ne2SZcO

88IaRs-2FGFBdI9iSluG6Pzb7TI2qHE0FOiIY0Ha

m-B6UJ6y2bbgVYhLtkjf3ivX0X26secQAuoDdaSr

VaJaBMVUfTrjku3AYPbZEwa96NZFWK7VaW7B54n9

OjrBdV-Sye9YeB5GotE45RdJMSCXw4lUlwwemHXf

Another significant improvement came from adding a 15" subwoofer, 3 cubic foot diy cabinet kit and subwoofer amp, all from Parts Express. It really added the foundation needed to 

make my La Scala's sound complete.  They sound so good they out-classed my $6,000 Harbeths, so I sold them. 

I am a happy camper! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wirrunna said:

What size bolts did you use to fasten the adapter to the Elliptrac ?

I don't recall exactly, but they were 3/4" long and either 5/16 or 3/8 creating a snug but not too tight thread into the mdf mount. I did not need a retaining nut. A 2" diameter rubber gasket was used between the mount and the PRV adapter. The K-55 threaded perfectly into the PRV.