large or small setting

lanelec

I have a new speaker set-up consisting of 2)rf-3II. 1)rc-3II 2)rc3-II and the KSW-12 sub. What setting should the fronts and center be set to? Also my reciever is a pioneer elite vsx-26tx what should i set the crossover network to? It has the following settings to choose from 80-100 or 150Hz.here is another question what is the best setting for the bass peak level manager?and what should i set the sub itself at. I know I wiil have to tweak this but i really would like a starting point.Thanks in advance for the help.

lan, a lot of variables here including your own ears & tastes. but since the cross setting on your pioneer goes only as low as 80hz, i'd set it there.

then set everything to small (yes including the bigger front rf-3) & turn the crossover knob on the sub all the way up (to i think 120hz), assuming here you have the sub hooked to the receiver's sub out jack.

then you can play w/ the fronts speak setting large & hear if you like that or you have lower quality bass because the sub & fronts are interfering with each other. be sure to especially test w/ some 2-channel music if you're going to be using it for that as well.

as for the peak manager start w/ it flat or 0db. wouldn't use it unless you have to. you should also calibrate the speaker levels w/ a sound meter & the receiver test tones or a test dvd.

You'll need to do some experimenting here to see which sounds best. The center should definitely be set to small. Play with large/small settings on the mains to see which sounds best. I'm guessing you'll want small on them as well.

Set the crossover in the Pioneer to 80hz. The 150hz setting would be, IMO, if you had a small speaker system like the Klipsch Quintets, which don't go below 110hz or so.

Set the sub crossover to its highest setting, or bypass it altogether if there is a switch for that on the sub amp. (Assuming you are using the LFE connector on your Pioneer for the sub, rather than speaker level connections.) You want to take the sub crossover out of the picture since your Pioneer is handling that function for you.

Doug

another thing to consider is that if you are running alot of bass through the mains, it is going to also effect the power availible for the midrange and highs, and in effect, making them not as clean sounding. I have virtually no bass going to my mains at all. I used to have them to the max, but once I turned them down to zero, I instantly noticed a difference in clairity. The quality of the subwoofer also can make a big difference in how well doing this works, because you need something that is quick, and can cover the range that the mains would be missing with ease.

I know I'm still a rookie here, but am I missing something here? I have the RF 3IIs also and a Yamaha with a 90 fixed for the LFE. My question is why did you spend all that money for the 3s if you are going to cut them off at 90 by setting them to small. Even if they are rolling off at around say, 50, you are still choping off the bottom end you spent all that money for. Why wouldn't you set your sub to come on in the 50 range and below?

Tim - In my very humble opinion, all that money wasn't necessarily spent on just components that handle the sub-90hz range. You're getting a system that handles everything above that very well, which is the major part of the music spectrum. If you are in a home theater application, you're probably going to be looking for robust bass. Most (with exception) speakers are not designed to do robust bass, which requires the use of a sub. So the thought is, why burden the main speakers with handling low bass since I have a specialized speaker that is designed to deal with it (the sub). Let's free up the speaker to handle the upper stuff. Plus, if you have a sub also, you can avoid potential bass interactions between the sub and the low frequency in the mains.

I have Chorus and Forte speakers. Both do bass pretty well, with 15" and 12" woofers respectively. Yet I still set them to small and let my SVS sub pick up the slack.

Just my ramblings...

Doug

tim, & just to point out, the yammy doesn't cut LFE @ 90hz - it cuts low bass at 90hz for the sub out & speakers set small. read this attachment for a basic guide of the dif between low bass & LFE.

that's why i'm always harping on those high fixed crossovers in receiver dsp bass mgmt. the ideal would be to allow adjustability of those dsp crossovers to more closely match w/ bigger speakers, & the power to kick their woofers. like many of the newer receivers are now doing & pre/pros have mostly always had - crossover adjustability.

the reason you don't want to use the sub's crossover is because the dsp is already doing the filtering for low bass, & most important all LFE goes to the sub out only when you have a sub set up through the sub out in the receiver - so you don't want the sub's cross filtering out any LFE.

lfe1.pdf