GSG Devastator

brians7

30 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Thanks Carl. I just haven't found them yet. That helps...

How large a space would could this be used in, do you think? I'm thinking of a performance space

I always look at the mains.   If it can keep up with them you're normally ok.

On 7/14/2019 at 1:06 PM, rockhound said:

Someone needs to buy one of these and test looks killer to me.

You need to buy two so you can sell me your 904's cheap. As a matter of fact if you wish to not get your hands dirty I haul big hard to handle objects free sometimes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

cool  - - ( but I mainly watch movies from early talkie - 1940's and don't like CGI - only suitmation Godzilla 4 me)

don't know if the hornresp model I grabbed from AVS is the production model but here how it goes with one 21" driver - -efficiency where it peaks around 80Hz  ~"60%"

I tried downscaling it x 0.71 for my Stereo Integrity 15 but the peaking area

looked too sharp.

It should be nice.  Input at tuning for 28.3v midband input is around `1200 watts

6KjTSL8.png

Here's a comparison between the Devastator and a THTLP which is just about

half its size  (2 pi and no eq/highpass on either)

J8X2qcu.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi karlson3,

In your post, you mention that the THTLP is about half the size of the Devastator.  The measurements that I have indicate that the THTLP is actually a slightly larger cab.

The measurements that I saw for the THTLP is 72" x 18" x 36", which is 27 cubic feet.

The measurements for the Devastator are 48" x 24.75" x 30", which is about 20.7 cubic feet.

I'm not sure if the models that you posted for the THTLP are all accurate.  I'm not sure that mine are either!

My understanding is that the THTLP is the THT in a different form factor, but with similar performance.

If that is the case, then this is what I have.

THT modelled 1w1m response using the 390HF driver.

(Note: I am using drive voltage that based on each driver's DC resistance gives exactly 1 watt; and all models are 2pi space.)

617314940_thtwith390hf.png.216fe0e0d1c84e500628985ca5e24934.png

This model matches pretty well BFM's measurement of the sub, though BFM may have edited out some of the tips of the peaks in the blue line, though real horns tend not to have as strong of resonant peaks as Hornresp indicates.  The locations of all the peaks are generally in the same regions (except the missing one around 170Hz), suggesting that the model is fairly reflecting the actual horn.

THT.png.8eaeaf157a35e7adc71c527b51791791.png

With the same 1w1m, this is the comparison with the Devastator model.

828585050_thtwith390hfdevlavoce21.png.e0945ab46930048348f3fd10e258dc91.png

Maximum SPL based on 500 watts and 19mm excursion in the THT:

(Note: the xmax on the 390HF is listed as 14mm, but that is overhang only.  My guess is that usable excursion is up around 19mm or so, so that is what I used.)

581819086_maxoutputtht390hf500w19mm.png.312712761b745e706b9e09dc0c569833.png

Maximum SPL based on 1700 watts and 19mm excursion in the Devastator:

(Note: the driver was tested and has usable of just over 20mm, but distortion at that level is getting pretty high, so I used 19mm for the comparo.)

793510963_maxoutputdevast1700w19mm.png.786c669a287f00269aadffe0066f31c2.png

We don't have a good place to measure the Devastator cab (first attempts were generating in-band cancellations from boundaries).  Hopefully, we'll get some measurements posted soon!

An important point is that THT was designed many years ago (before the era of the 21" superwoofers) and that the driver and recommended plate amp are less expensive than what is used in the Devastator, so in some sense this isn't really a fair comparison.  But from a performance-only perspective, I think the models are reasonably capturing the differences between the two systems.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

I have one SMS-1 for each subwoofer, because DSP is very effective for high performance audio. 

Yeah. It has been quite awhile since I used such a device, have relied on positioning and listening. I recall I thoroughly enjoyed when I used to hair a pair of velodyne DD15 subs.  Decided to turn my gsg sub onto the same tech.  I wouldn't want to hear the sub again without it (forced to stuff the sub into the corner due to size).   I had massive boost from 30 to 50 hz masking upper bass significantly.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Cool. I imagine that makes the bass sound much cleaner than the previous non-DSP performance, and the amp has more power available for the audible music content.

So this is two fold on headroom IMO.  Since I pulled about 9 dB from 30 to 50 hz (intentional corner room gain) and added a subsonic, I moved the amp from bridged mono to stereo (single channel) to gain damping factor and more control over the woofer.  I haven't seen the amp clip once since. I did run it HARD for a few spirited passes to test.   What a difference. That b&c driver is incredible and a 21" sub is on another level from what I am used to.   The sub barely moves at all and just thunders away extremely clean with any normal listening. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Kevin was able to get a decent measurement of the Devastator (w/LaVoce 21" SAN214.50) despite not having access to a large open area by placing the sub on its back in his driveway and suspending the mic over the cab.  The response is quite close to our Hornresp model.  

Ignore level, only the shape of the curve is relevant in this one.  The one that we sell is substantially similar to the one that I designed for the DIY community on AVS, so the DIY version will perform similarly.

Devastator Raw Response Oct 2019.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...