GSG Devastator

brians7

17 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Outside of cost, what would be the deciding factor between these three units? 

Sound quality, in the specific way that you're going to use it. I find that all I perceive below about 25 Hz is pulsation. For music anything below that is meaningless. For movie special effects it may make a difference, but I don't use my system for that.

To me it seems that the extra out put with one or two higher frequency may be the winner.

To a certain extent, it's like saying "The Camaro has a top speed of 195, while the Mustang only goes 192." You're not going to ever use the top speed, so why worry about it?

The GSG Website also addresses this. See the first two sections of their FAQ, plus especially the section titled "Do I need an MBM?"

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 2:52 PM, diamonddelts said:

My Devastators were built a local guy who is a furniture builder by trade and a fellow audio enthusiast. He used the Devastator version four plan which is available on AVS Forum under the do it yourself subwoofer section. It was much cheaper than going through GSG for their flat packs.

you would'nt have a link or a copy of these plans you can share on this forum ------that would be really cool

2 hours ago, Edgar said:

Sound quality, in the specific way that you're going to use it. I find that all I perceive below about 25 Hz is pulsation. For music anything below that is meaningless. For movie special effects it may make a difference, but I don't use my system for that.

To a certain extent, it's like saying "The Camaro has a top speed of 195, while the Mustang only goes 192." You're not going to ever use the top speed, so why worry about it?

The GSG Website also addresses this. See the first two sections of their FAQ, plus especially the section titled "Do I need an MBM?"

Yes, depending what you are using it for would make a difference.  I can see if a sub does better musically than the other, you would want that purely for 2 channel.  Maybe the driver is a better quality driver for that matter, maybe then the price point/ease of build changes dramatically.  Great point. 

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Outside of cost, what would be the deciding factor between these three units?  One would think that distortion levels would take into play.  But how does one understand what that may be? is is it even relevant?  To me it seems that the extra out put with one or two higher frequency may be the winner.  At this point, maybe cost and ease of build comes into play.  

image.png.a4de7e902d35f13c8fd6284b590e2b3f.png

The Marty’s dig a hair deeper but don’t have near the mid bass authority and cleanliness of the devastators.  

On 8/1/2020 at 10:31 AM, diamonddelts said:

LaVoce SAN214.50 21" woofers

On 8/1/2020 at 10:46 AM, diamonddelts said:

I have both subs now. They are much bigger in person than I anticipated.     ... with the Devastators I can go as loud as my ears can take it, and the bass remains controlled and articulate at high volumes.

And their presence is easily felt at low volumes for normal music listening. Best of both worlds.

Your Jubilees and your new 21" subs are a good combo!

• Like 1

They're certainly not trying to deceive anyone as they've posted this on their website.

There have been some questions around the internet as to whether or not the Devastator is a horn. The issue relates to the fact that the horn path in front of the driver does not have a flare, i.e. it is straight. To some, this means the Devastator is a horn with no flare, to others it is a 'pipe-horn', while to others it isn't a horn at all.

In the design of any horn, various horn parameters (cross-sectional area of horn path, horn path length, horn flare rate, etc.) are adjusted. Changes in these parameters result in changes to the frequency response, the efficiency, and other measures that indicate how a horn will perform. After modelling countless combinations of parameters, it turned out that performance of the Devastator was optimized as the flare rate of the horn approached zero (i.e. no flare rate). Of course careful balancing of all the horn parameters was required to get the Devastator 'just right'. The end result is a horn with maximum efficiency from just under 60Hz to just over 100Hz, precisely where we wanted it to be for maximum mid-bass punch. The port then adds its own efficiency to the bottom end. So while the Devastator is technically a 5th order bandpass subwoofer, it looks and performs like a horn with a ported rear section, so for simplicity we call it a "ported horn". Irrespective of what it is called, it won't affect performance; we promise.

2 minutes ago, jason str said:

Zero benefits of an actual horn for one and its a dual reflex bandpass design if you were wondering.

So what? I wasn't.  Have you ever actually heard one or own one?  I don't understand people that have to attempt to throw negative light on something without data or experience.  I am not affected when people like you do these types of things, because I really don't care what you think, but there are people that may take that type of negative BS to heart, so maybe a little more thinking is in order before you post things.  

2 minutes ago, Pete H said:

So what? I wasn't.  Have you ever actually heard one or own one?  I don't understand people that have to attempt to throw negative light on something without data or experience.  I am not affected when people like you do these types of things, because I really don't care what you think, but there are people that may take that type of negative BS to heart, so maybe a little more thinking is in order before you post things.  

Obsolete design for a reason.

You are welcome to take it negatively if you want but figured actual customers may prefer facts.

• Like 1