1: lacking remembrance, memory, or mindful attention
2: lacking active conscious knowledge or awareness usually used with of or to

11 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Word for the day is Oblivious

obliv·i·ous | \ ə-ˈbli-vē-əs  \

Definition of oblivious

1: lacking remembrance, memory, or mindful attention
2: lacking active conscious knowledge or awareness usually used with of or to

Shouldn't you be out waiting by your mail box?

Hey guys,

I saw there was some question about performance on the Devastator vs. a horn with an increasing flare.  

In order to shed some light on that one, I went ahead and modeled the Devastator and a second Devastator with an increasing flare rate (2:1 ratio for the mouth-to-throat cross-sectional area), approx. a 2:1 compression ratio, and the same size horn mouth.  This isn't the only possible horn of course, but it is a decent starting point for seeing some of the issues involved.  Both cabs have identical drive voltage 2.28 volts, which when considering the driver's DC resistance of 5.2 ohms, equals 1 watt of power.  Simulation is 2pi space for both cabs as well. 

Below is the 1w1m response of both horns.  Devastator is the one on top.  It can be seen that the Devastator has greater output than the flared port horn from 50-80Hz, while the flared port horn has greater output above 85Hz.

The second chart shows the efficiency of both cabs.  Again, Devastator is the one on top. The Devastator's peak efficiency occurs at just over 80Hz, while the flared port horn peaks at about 100Hz. 

From these charts, the Devastator has greater output and efficiency up to about 85Hz.  Since most folks are interested in bass from the teens on the low end up to about 100Hz on the upper end, the horn with zero flare offered superior performance across a larger portion of the frequency range of interest than the flared horn.   

The horn path on the Devastator was optimized for performance first.  An unintended consequence of the optimization was that the horn path didn't require flaring.  This made it super easy to DIY.  If it was only easy to build, but didn't perform, it wouldn't have taken off like it did (either as a DIY project or as GSG flat pack kits).    

I've designed many horns over time, all with performance as the primary objective.  🙂  This one just so happened to be both optimized for performance and ease of construction, both at the same time.  That rarely happens, but in this case it did. 

So, please don't feel like the Devastator is compromised with respect to performance simply because its flare rate is zero and is an easy build.

Hope that helps.

John

output 1w1m.png

efficiency.png

Edited by LTD02
  • Like 4