GSG Devastator

brians7

11 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I've never seen poor quality Baltic birch.

Like almost anything, there are various grades, Baltic Birch is not exception. 

I have used some BB that had some voids and some that also had patches on both sides of board. I have a nice football shaped patch on the tops of a pair of Super Heresy that upsets me every time I see it. Not enough to veneer the cabinets, but..... In my defense, I was on pain meds when assembling these cabinets and it sure looked like the bottom to me. Additional supports in the cabinet made it so I could not just flip it.

Live an learn. Cant wait to hear Pete's impression of this sub and potentially everyone at SWAG.

General Baltic Birch Grades:

What To Know: plywood is graded on the appearance of the face and back veneers only (not the core). The better side is called the face, the poorer side is called the back. These grades listed below read “face/back.”

baltic-birch-defectsB/BB: Single piece face and back veneer. Face veneers are considered clear and free of defects with a light-uniform color. Back allows 3-6 color matched patches, which are oval in shape and egg sized. Inner cores are solid birch single piece veneers.

BB/BB: Single piece face and back. Both face and back veneers allow 3-6 small color-matched patches on average and some light mineral streaks. Tight pin knots may be present. Inner cores are solid single piece veneers.

BB/CP: Single piece face and back. The “CP” back veneers are downgraded from “BB” grade veneers, which allow for unlimited patches and sound knots, but does not allow for open defects. Inner cores are solid birch single piece veneers.

CP/CP: Single piece face and back. Face and back grade veneers allow unlimited sound knots and repaired splits and unlimited patches. The panel is sound both sides and designed for laminating.

C/C: Patches, open knots, and small veneer splits allowed. Veneer lap and small core voids permitted. This panel is not sanded and would be used for structural purposes.

Patches in Baltic Birch

You’ll find several football, oval, or irregular shaped patches in either side of Baltic birch. Even the highest grade of Baltic birch allows for patches. While at first glance they might seem unsightly, they’re indeed correcting a worse problem that you wouldn’t like any better – such as knots or discoloration. Fortunately, patches are color matched, so they blend as best as they can to the surrounding areas.

12 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Doesn't GSG use MDF exclusively?

the web site says --596$  ---------baltic birch -, cant see a MDF option ----shipping 320$  to NY ---previous prices I saw on the net were 500$ and shipping 100$  , maybe the BB is the reason they charge more for shipping

-https://shop.gsgad.com/collections/horn-subwoofers

The Devastator MkII in Baltic Birch
(Now available in 19Hz & 28Hz Tuning)

37 minutes ago, MookieStl said:
52 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Like almost anything, there are various grades, Baltic Birch is not exception. 

I have used some BB that had some voids and some that also had patches on both sides of board.

Guess I've been lucky.  The sheets I've gotten have been near perfect.  Regular Birch sheets, not so much.

I'm a BB guy 100% and have been for quite a few years.  Probably used 40-50 sheets in the last 5 or so and yes, I've had some mineral streaks, pin knots and a football fill in here or there, but the overall quality of the materials have been great.  Can't wait to get started on the build and it will be nice for a change to have all the parts cut and ready to assemble.  Honestly, it's not worth my time on this build to do that part myself and the communication and support to this point has been stellar.  No regrets at all.  If you can ship to a business with loading dock/forks, and order multiple packs, you can greatly reduce the shipping costs. @LTD02 appreciate the information behind the design and modelling.  I'm really looking forward to hearing one. 

15 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Shouldn't we be seeing updates by now?

You have your 5 gallon bucket of glue and 85 clamps ready to roll?

Have you lined up extra sets of hands as well?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I love build threads.

Got my popcorn ready.

Update:  I'm waiting on everything to arrive.  I should see the driver and flat packs next week and glue/clamps/fasteners are always in the shop.  Forks on the skid-steer will get them off the truck and into mine and I'm set up to handle it from there, at least until it's all assembled, which is when I'm going to need a couple other bodies to get it off the work platform and down on it's wheels (yes, it will have casters on it) Promise I will start a new thread when pieces start arriving so I can get nagged about when I'm going to be done.  LOL

It's about 40 miles more for me to come through and pick you up so you can help unload in Hope.  :biggrin2:

• Like 1