GSG Devastator

brians7

43 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Update:  I'm waiting on everything to arrive.  I should see the driver and flat packs next week and glue/clamps/fasteners are always in the shop.  Forks on the skid-steer will get them off the truck and into mine and I'm set up to handle it from there, at least until it's all assembled, which is when I'm going to need a couple other bodies to get it off the work platform and down on it's wheels (yes, it will have casters on it) Promise I will start a new thread when pieces start arriving so I can get nagged about when I'm going to be done.  LOL

It's about 40 miles more for me to come through and pick you up so you can help unload in Hope.  :biggrin2:

Don't forget you will need a BFH (big ... hammer)!

Just pull up front and honk, I'll grab a toothbrush and run out!

Or better yet, swing by my shop and we can see if your new toy will sound good with four LS!! but that requires more unloading and loading.

• 10 months later...

Re-resucitating this for my first post :) long-time reader, first-time caller...

Am running a pair of LSII's and in need of a true sub for music. I run very small parties out of my house and we play very very bass-heavy underground music. No crap EDM and American dubstep (sorry if you identify with those), just the good stuff (NY/NJ style garage, Detroit electro, jazz-funk, disco, etc.). 

I've had a lot of time to do research lately and from what I can tell the Devastator 28hz seems like THE promising option for those of us who might not want to pay over $2k and want to do an easier build. Problem is, lack of reliable testimonials out there. This thread has been helpful. For me personally, it's basically either "build a Devastator" or hold out for a Rythmik servo ("hold out" bc I'm intrigued by the prospect of a dual 18" from them). 

**Can anyone who got / was about to get their Devastators a year ago now chime in with some updates, please? Has the initial excitement of your build/purchase worn off into something else? Any new users out there wanna shed some light on the quality of their DIY units?**

Personally, I don't care if this is a true horn or not. Would be nice to see this thread not re-descend into conjecture by folks who ain't heard the speakers ;) Just the true heads, if I may so humbly request...

For science and the Klipsch community!

All best,

T.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 7:47 AM, Westcoastdrums said:

Update. So GSG Audio now has powered, finished versions of the devestator.   VERY interesting.   When I talked to Kevin initially, I had suggested that.  I hope they sell a, ton of them. Powersoft 4k amps. Yeah buddy. Priced right me thinks if you are in the market. 

So what is priced right mean? I would be interested in picking up a finished version if I could swing it within my 2021 audio budget.

On 7/22/2021 at 6:01 PM, bugg_nn_out said:

Re-resucitating this for my first post :) long-time reader, first-time caller...

Am running a pair of LSII's and in need of a true sub for music. I run very small parties out of my house and we play very very bass-heavy underground music. No crap EDM and American dubstep (sorry if you identify with those), just the good stuff (NY/NJ style garage, Detroit electro, jazz-funk, disco, etc.). 

I've had a lot of time to do research lately and from what I can tell the Devastator 28hz seems like THE promising option for those of us who might not want to pay over $2k and want to do an easier build. Problem is, lack of reliable testimonials out there. This thread has been helpful. For me personally, it's basically either "build a Devastator" or hold out for a Rythmik servo ("hold out" bc I'm intrigued by the prospect of a dual 18" from them). 

**Can anyone who got / was about to get their Devastators a year ago now chime in with some updates, please? Has the initial excitement of your build/purchase worn off into something else? Any new users out there wanna shed some light on the quality of their DIY units?**

Personally, I don't care if this is a true horn or not. Would be nice to see this thread not re-descend into conjecture by folks who ain't heard the speakers ;) Just the true heads, if I may so humbly request...

For science and the Klipsch community!

All best,

T.

@Pete H built one for a gathering we had last year several heard it. These are the real deal fantastic sub and I was very surprised by the output and extension this sub has. I plan to build 2 one of these days when I get a shop. Maybe @Pete H will chime in on his experience.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Priced right in my opinion means, compared, to the competition, there is nothing like it for the price unless you go DIY and likely bigger and multiples.  Bang for the buck for those the want over the top bass from even a single sub. Just my opinion, I'm sure several will disagree.  

Can you pm the price? I saw nothing on their website about them selling a finished product

Absolutely no regrets on the Devastator (28HZ version) with the Eminence.  I ended up around $1,500-$1,600 in parts and shipping of the flat packs and another $500 in a used QSC DCA amp, running in bridged mono and a mini DSP HD.  Obviously, you can spend whatever you want for an amp to drive it and DSP.  As with anything, I haven't heard 50 different subs to compare it to, but I've built and owned more than a few, I really enjoy this sub.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/2/2021 at 12:52 PM, babadono said:

I also Heard Pete's Devastator last year. It added the bottom so the dance rhythm just couldn't hide.

Watching Carl follow a dance rhythm - now That would be priceless and worth the price of admission - 

• Haha 1

On 8/2/2021 at 12:52 PM, babadono said:

I also Heard Pete's Devastator last year. It added the bottom so the dance rhythm just couldn't hide.

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I must admit.   That was pretty sly.

Couple old dudes making Sly Stone jokes. Can''t beat that for entertainment.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1