GSG Devastator

brians7

On 1/31/2020 at 1:34 AM, AHall said:

Anyone try one of these behemoths out yet? 

I'm having two built for me this week. They should be ready by Friday. I will come back with my thoughts on them as soon as I have them set up with a new amp next week. I was holding out to purchase a Klipsch 1802

this November. But this pair is less than half the price with more overall output so I could not resist.

On 7/29/2020 at 4:37 PM, diamonddelts said:

I'm having two built for me this week. They should be ready by Friday. I will come back with my thoughts on them as soon as I have them set up with a new amp next week. I was holding out to purchase a Klipsch 1802

this November. But this pair is less than half the price with more overall output so I could not resist.

Awesome.  I can't wait to hear your impression.  A pair of these should have insane output.

On 7/31/2020 at 11:41 AM, CECAA850 said:

Awesome.  I can't wait to hear your impression.  A pair of these should have insane output.

I have both subs now. They are much bigger in person than I anticipated. I'm waiting on Crown XLI 3500 amp to be delivered on Monday. But I am impatient so I hooked up one Devastator to the left channel of my Emotiva Dr-2 amp which is 500 watts per Channel 8 ohms. I know this amp is under powering the Devastator, but the potential is already there in spades. I played my Jubilee on the right channel of the emotiva amp.

I know some have expressed  the Devastator build is not a pure horn loaded enclosure, but it definitely has the horn sounding bass. The bass is clean, sharp, articulate, and has immense presence. Yet it blends seamlessly with my Jubilees. I even venture to say that the Devastators upper midbass  actually sounds cleaner than that of the Jubilees. 

And I played with the crossover all the way up to 100hz and the upper mid bass sounds great with no signs of the distortion or decay. These are by far the best subs I've ever owned. And I've owned many, many subs. 

My previous subs were Stereo Integrity 24" subs, Mach 5 Audio FTW 21" subs, Chase 18" subs, Bagend 18" subs, etc. All were in sealed enclosures for music first priority.

Even in sealed enclosures, those subs do not sound anywhere near as clean as the Devastator does. The LaVoce 21" drivers are  98.5 DB sensitivity so they are easy to drive. I had thought about going back to the stereo Integrity 24-inch drivers in ported enclosures for more output. But I just do not like the sound of ported sub for music when you turn the volume up. There always seems to be some degree of decay. But with the Devastators I can go as loud as my ears can take it, and the bass remains controlled and articulate at high volumes.

And their presence is easily felt at low volumes for normal music listening. Best of both worlds.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, diamonddelts said:

I have both subs now. They are much bigger in person than I anticipated. I'm waiting on Crown XLI 3500 amp to be delivered on Monday. But I am impatient so I hooked up one Devastator to the left channel of my Emotiva Dr-2 amp which is 500 watts per Channel 8 ohms. I know this amp is under powering the Devastator, but the potential is already there in spades. I played my Jubilee on the right channel of the emotiva amp.

I know some have expressed  the Devastator build is not a pure horn loaded enclosure, but it definitely has the horn sounding bass. The bass is clean, sharp, articulate, and has immense presence. Yet it blends seamlessly with my Jubilees. I even venture to say that the Devastators upper midbass  actually sounds cleaner than that of the Jubilees. 

And I played with the crossover all the way up to 100hz and the upper mid bass sounds great with no signs of the distortion or decay. These are by far the best subs I've ever owned. And I've owned many, many subs. 

My previous subs were Stereo Integrity 24" subs, Mach 5 Audio FTW 21" subs, Chase 18" subs, Bagend 18" subs, etc. All were in sealed enclosures for music first priority.

Even in sealed enclosures, those subs do not sound anywhere near as clean as the Devastator does. The LaVoce 21" drivers are  98.5 DB sensitivity so they are easy to drive. I had thought about going back to the stereo Integrity 24-inch drivers in ported enclosures for more output. But I just do not like the sound of ported sub for music when you turn the volume up. There always seems to be some degree of decay. But with the Devastators I can go as loud as my ears can take it, and the bass remains controlled and articulate at high volumes.

And their presence is easily felt at low volumes for normal music listening. Best of both worlds.

Great review, thanks.

22 hours ago, diamonddelts said:

These are by far the best subs I've ever owned. And I've owned many, many subs.

was the 1802 sub that much more money ---------one you added up the cost of shipping .  labor assembly-parts  ---------etc

On 8/2/2020 at 11:33 AM, RandyH000 said:

was the 1802 sub that much more money ---------one you added up the cost of shipping .  labor assembly-parts  ---------etc

Yes there was a substantial difference in price between the two. My price for the Devastator subs including wood, paint, labor, and a pair of LaVoce 21" drivers was $1,500. My price for the Klipsch 1802 subwoofer including shipping would have been $3,500.

My boxes should be here today. Went with the eminence nsw6021-6 drivers. They have the most bottom end of the lavoce and b&c. These will be in the back of the room on their side behind the couch. The 1802 is still up front. 

The price was about the same for the 1802 with crown xls2002 as the dual dev birch flat packs, eminence drivers, and nx6000 amp. Around $3500. I’m interested to see how well the devs do with my Jubes and 1802. 

XoGOAdY.jpg

8Dk4L7d.jpg

On 8/3/2020 at 11:19 PM, diamonddelts said:

My price for the Devastator subs including wood, paint, labor, and a pair of LaVoce 21" drivers was $1,500.

I don't see how.  A two pack of subs is $1190.  2 drivers are $930.  Guestimate on shipping has to be around $300.  That's $2420 unassembled.  What's the breakdown on your math or did I totally screw up?

27 minutes ago, babadono said:

These 3 in the same room? Yowzer!

I wanted to strengthen the output below the 28ish hz port tune of the 1802. I get output below 20hz but when you crank it the 1802 runs out of gas. The devs will help with that. And more overhead everywhere. And smoother room response. Plus it just seems really fun. 

• Haha 1

You go for it.  Does anyone have a picture of what the 1802 looks like on the inside?  I've heard it, but never seen a plan or inside view.

Waiting on a shipping quote on some flat packs now.  Is anyone driving to the east coast from California with a big truck, van or trailer?  LOL

14 minutes ago, Pete H said:

You go for it.  Does anyone have a picture of what the 1802 looks like on the inside?  I've heard it, but never seen a plan or inside view.

Waiting on a shipping quote on some flat packs now.  Is anyone driving to the east coast from California with a big truck, van or trailer?  LOL

7o4bhXD.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks!  I didn't realize it was a ported horn until it came up in a conversation the other day.  I did know that I liked what I heard and will be very curious about your impressions when you have that and the devastators.  

15 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Thanks!  I didn't realize it was a ported horn until it came up in a conversation the other day.  I did know that I liked what I heard and will be very curious about your impressions when you have that and the devastators.  

I have racked my brain to find a matching sub and not lose low freq fidelity. I really hope adding the devs is a good choice. If I can’t tell the difference between the two I may replace the 1802 with 3 devs. 3 will fit exactly where the 1802 does. Or I may decide it’s enough bass and add tactile transducers.