GSG Devastator

brians7

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I don't see how.  A two pack of subs is $1190.  2 drivers are $930.  Guestimate on shipping has to be around $300.  That's $2420 unassembled.  What's the breakdown on your math or did I totally screw up?

My Devastators were built a local guy who is a furniture builder by trade and a fellow audio enthusiast. He used the Devastator version four plan which is available on AVS Forum under the do it yourself subwoofer section. It was much cheaper than going through GSG for their flat packs.

Just now, diamonddelts said:

My Devastators were built a local guy who is a furniture builder by trade and a fellow audio enthusiast. He used the Devastator version four plan which is available on AVS Forum under the do it yourself subwoofer section. It was much cheaper than going through GSG for their flat packs.

Makes sense, thanks.

21 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Makes sense, thanks.

Dayton Audio HTS545HE-4 Kraken 21" High Excursion Subwoofer looks like interesting. I got a good pricr on the LaVoce 2.But if I was to do it over again I would lean towards towards the B&C 21 inch driver or this new 21 inch driver from Dayton at Parts Express.

19 minutes ago, diamonddelts said:

Dayton Audio HTS545HE-4 Kraken 21" High Excursion Subwoofer looks like interesting. I got a good pricr on the LaVoce 2.But if I was to do it over again I would lean towards towards the B&C 21 inch driver or this new 21 inch driver from Dayton at Parts Express.

It works in this application?  I don't see it listed on their driver page.

30 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

It works in this application?  I don't see it listed on their driver page.

Just this past weekend I sat down with the GSG Webpage, WinISD, and models for every 18" and 21" driver that I had on file. (Admittedly I didn't look at the Devastator in particular.) I found that their design philosophy appears to be to tune the box waaaaaaaaaaaay lower than would produce the flattest response for any particular driver, and then make up the difference with EQ boost. Under these circumstances, the frequency responses for the drivers that they recommend are all nearly identical -- flat above maybe 70 - 100 Hz, gradually sloping downward at low frequencies. They can get away with significant boost at low frequencies because the port tuning is so low, and the driver does not unload in the usual audio band.

2 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Just this past weekend I sat down with the GSG Webpage, WinISD, and models for every 18" and 21" driver that I had on file. (Admittedly I didn't look at the Devastator in particular.) I found that their design philosophy appears to be to tune the box waaaaaaaaaaaay lower than would produce the flattest response for any particular driver, and then make up the difference with EQ boost. Under these circumstances, the frequency responses for the drivers that they recommend are all nearly identical -- flat above maybe 70 - 100 Hz, gradually sloping downward at low frequencies. They can get away with significant boost at low frequencies because the port tuning is so low, and the driver does not unload in the usual audio band.

That's for the "Martys" correct?  Interesting.

11 hours ago, diamonddelts said:

yeah , I was calculating all the prices -----now I  get it -----these are not GSG KITS --

1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

yeah , I was calculating all the prices -----now I  get it -----these are not GSG KITS --

I attempted to go with two GSG Devastator kits. However, I wanted them assembled before they were shipped to me. I called twice about this endeavor, and each time I was told this option will be available later in the year. Finally I got tired of waiting so I had a local guy build the Devastator enclosures instead.

18 hours ago, babadono said:

Don't know if you have talked to them already but go ahead. Kevin and John is good peeps.:emotion-21:

John is @LTD02 on this and other forums.

Kevin emailed me with the information I needed.  Thanks!  Love this forum, it's the gift that keeps on taking, money from my wallet.  

Just now, CECAA850 said:

No doubt.  How much money have we caused each other to spend lately?  LOL

Hard to calculate when it's still happening.  Keep a tally going and tape it to my box of ashes when I'm done.   Actually, have the ashes dumped into one of the ports on the POS KP115 boxes and throw it in the ocean.  Finally found something those boxes might be good for.  LMAO

31 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Hard to calculate when it's still happening.  Keep a tally going and tape it to my box of ashes when I'm done.   Actually, have the ashes dumped into one of the ports on the POS KP115 boxes and throw it in the ocean.  Finally found something those boxes might be good for.  LMAO

burn the box give me the woofers. I haul trash for free.

• Haha 1

Outside of cost, what would be the deciding factor between these three units?  One would think that distortion levels would take into play.  But how does one understand what that may be? is is it even relevant?  To me it seems that the extra out put with one or two higher frequency may be the winner.  At this point, maybe cost and ease of build comes into play.  

image.png.a4de7e902d35f13c8fd6284b590e2b3f.png