New (2019) Klipschorn with Risers...

SO I'm having the backs enclosed on my 1978 Klipschorns. BTW...I'm adding the enclosure panels to the rear, not to the inside of top and

bottom plate so as not to decrease horn volume. Now I've noticed that the new offerings from Klipsch have what appears to be a 3" riser. Was

this done to elevate tweeter height to optimize the listeners experience or because.....?????? Tweeter stock, measures 50" from floor which

is well above natural tweeter height for most speakers. 

Assuming there is another reason for the riser, does the riser have an affect on bass production? Riser should be pretty easy to make up just not sure if this is a mod that I should move forward with.

Cheers

Don

I've been looking at the illustrations and pictures of that riser with great suspicion too.  In the video of Tony he says it is two inches tall, doesn't he?

I don't see that the published overall height of the K-Horn (all new or not) has increased by two inches. But this is like a model C? with a very little space instead of the collar?  Maybe the ruler holder is not counting the riser?  How does this affect the two-part shipping box?  If the height measurement does include riser, where did the two inches get stolen from.  It is near unthinkable that the overall bass bin was redesigned to become two inches more squat.  Maybe someone with more experience can confirm.

I think there is no real significant affect on the tweeter reception.  it is already way way above ear level when the listener is seated and can two inches make that much of a difference?  I don't think so.

Another thought is that the riser could be used to obtain more effective volume in the back chamber.  OTOH in the video I don't see any holes communicating between the riser and the back chamber.  Maybe this (in fuzzy logic) is like looking for Scotty's middle finger in TOS -- it's not there but you can't tell.  The published low freq cut-off hasn't changed and so maybe the riser does not affect bass response down there.

The wire management is affeccted somewhat by the riser in that if/when you put speaker wire through one of the notches at the bottom of the bass bin you come out two inches above the floor.  Handy.

Re wire management it is interesting to view the Crazy Frenchman video and the drawings above and see that there is a cut-out for an access hatch on either side of the back chamber.  Sure makes woofer (boomer) installation easier.  We see the effect in the drawing above. 

There is a single two-hatch bass bin  design which is varied by the use of two different hatch covers - one blank and one with the crossover components and terminals.  So, depending where you put the crossover equipped hatch you can make a left or a right type bass bin.  Or two right type or two left type.  

Also seen in the video and drawing are the two, two-inch (or so) diameter holes in the top plate to allow the wiring to the mid and tweeter to route to the hatch with the crossover connection.

The all new Klipschorn gets the new tweeter.

Maybe we should compile a list of changes. 

Now that enclosed backs are added by owners, so too will risers.

WMcD

• Like 1

I just fetched "full frontal" images of the two from klipsch.com and crudely cropped them to just the bass bin, minus the riser on the one.  Aspect ratios of the results were 1.25:1 and 1.24:1.  Seeing that one vertical edge wasn't quite vertical, I fudged a bit on that crop, so by this method I'll call the riser as being tacked onto the bottom of the old (basic design) bass cabinet.

The two PDF spec sheets sent from the server today show the same widths and depths, with one height being 50.75" [128.9.4cm - not a typo on my part!] and the other 53"

Settles it for me.

On 7/14/2019 at 12:09 PM, WMcD said:

The all new Klipschorn gets the new tweeter.

It's about time. I've been adding new tweeters to all Klipsch speakers for over 12 years now. I remember my initial factory tour back in 1985, where one of the workers said to me: "Changes come real slow at Klipsch." No kidding.

Gil. et al, I seriously doubt the height of the Klipschorn bass bin has been altered.

The AK6 spec sheet says 53" high while the "regular" Klipschorn spec sheet says 50.75". 

For reference, my Style B (with the collar) Klipschorns are 52" high. 

Let's take the current non-AK6 Klipschorn first. From the spec sheet we see its height is listed as 50 3/4". Take a Style B (52") remove the 1" collar and the bottom 3/4" plate and you get a new height of 50 1/4". Add back the 1/2" unsightly air gap and you get the 50 3/4" spec. 

For the AK6, take that 50 3/4" and add the 2" riser and you get 52 3/4", not 53". Looks like there's a 1/4" discrepancy there.

Whoever checks copy and continuity on the Klipsch web site is MIA. Note the "regular" Klipschorn's  height of 50.75" is stated as the metric equivalent of 128.9.4 cm. Yep, there's an extra decimal point in there. 50.75" is equivalent to 128.905 cm.

https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-specsheets/Klipschorn-2018-Spec-Sheet-v02.pdf

https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-specsheets/Klipschorn-Spec-Sheet-v04.pdf

Lee

2 hours ago, Arkytype said:

Note the "regular" Klipschorn's  height of 50.75" is stated as the metric equivalent of 128.9.4 cm. Yep, there's an extra decimal point in there.

Showed that to my wife when researching for my reply the other day.  I got a chuckle out of it.  Momma just shrugged.