Xilica - Repaired :-)

Ziggurat

On 7/19/2019 at 5:50 PM, mark1101 said:

The Euro model gives you 8 inputs.  Very rarely needed for home audio.  Xilica has a 4x8 with XLR which is usually plenty for anyone in home audio.

I must be doing something wrong. I'm curious how I would accomplish my set up with 4-in and 8-out. Here is what I am currently doing.

R/L in from 2 channel preamp mapped to biamped R/L HF (VRDs) and LF (crown). That is 2 in 4 out consumed.

R/L/C and Sub in from Sunfire processor mapped to same 4 outs for R/L. Center to biamped center HF and LF is 2 more outs. Sub out is 1 more out.

That make 5 ins used up and 7 outs.

4 hours ago, rplace said:

I must be doing something wrong. I'm curious how I would accomplish my set up with 4-in and 8-out. Here is what I am currently doing.

R/L in from 2 channel preamp mapped to biamped R/L HF (VRDs) and LF (crown). That is 2 in 4 out consumed.

R/L/C and Sub in from Sunfire processor mapped to same 4 outs for R/L. Center to biamped center HF and LF is 2 more outs. Sub out is 1 more out.

That make 5 ins used up and 7 outs.

I bought 2 Xilica 4x8 units for my Jubs (3-way) and MCM setup (5-way).  So I have I/O to spare which is a good thing.

5 hours ago, babadono said:

What are the 5 ins?

Look up 7 or 8 posts :rolleyes:;)

Seems like 4 in 8 out is all you could possibly EVER need for home audio as long as you are willing to buy more...pretty sure 1 8080 is cheaper and takes up less rack space than 2 4080s. I don't find any issue with euro/phoenix connections. If rolling your own cables the Xilica end is so simple even I can solder it.:biggrin:

On 7/21/2019 at 11:39 AM, Delicious2 said:

Hey Mark 😸

curious how the Xilicas work for a 5 way system?  Wouldn’t that be 2 in and 10 out?

I run the same L/R inputs to both processors.  The L/R subs run on one processor leaving 6 available outputs, and the L/R MWM, XII, 402, 510 assemblies run on the other using all 8 outputs.

I can run the Jubs or other 6 output system on the extra I/O.  However, at the moment my Jubs use passive networks.

On 7/22/2019 at 12:56 AM, PrestonTom said:

Do we know if the OP ever got the problem fixed. I was curious about what it was in the end.

Unit arrived at service department today.  I will await their comment.

22 hours ago, rplace said:

Look up 7 or 8 posts :rolleyes:;)

Seems like 4 in 8 out is all you could possibly EVER need for home audio as long as you are willing to buy more...pretty sure 1 8080 is cheaper and takes up less rack space than 2 4080s. I don't find any issue with euro/phoenix connections. If rolling your own cables the Xilica end is so simple even I can solder it.:biggrin:

So you are going to use the 2 channel preamp and the 3 channel sunfire at the same time? Sorry I did not catch that at first. I thought you were switching between 2 different set ups

1 hour ago, babadono said:

So you are going to use the 2 channel preamp and the 3 channel sunfire at the same time? Sorry I did not catch that at first. I thought you were switching between 2 different set ups

Same room and main speakers for music via tubes and 7.1 HT via solid state. Different Xilica presets for music or movies.

How could I use them at the same time?

15 hours ago, rplace said:

Same room and main speakers for music via tubes and 7.1 HT via solid state. Different Xilica presets for music or movies.

How could I use them at the same time? 

With this:

image.jpeg.e0bd31855e8e292d5ce613aff528fbbd.jpeg:)

But seriously, so it is two different set ups not being used at the same time? You are going to have to do some switching of the I/O on the the Xilica. Whether that be by switching cables or something more permanent like the mixer above or something in between like just some home brewed switches. Have you started a new thread about this?

23 minutes ago, babadono said:

With this:

:)

But seriously, so it is two different set ups not being used at the same time? You are going to have to do some switching of the I/O on the the Xilica. Whether that be by switching cables or something more permanent like the mixer above or something in between like just some home brewed switches. Have you started a new thread about this?

I don't currently have any problems or issues beyond fully understanding all the stuff that Chris does. I simply started my comments in a tongue and cheek way to Mark's remark saying you never need more than 4 inputs (I knew I was already using 5). Of course you never need more than 4 if when you max out you buy another unit. Humor lost in translation I guess.

I'm good with my inputs/outputs, got them all mapped as needed. Nothing more needed than Xilica. When you switch presets it has the ability to, for example, take 1&2 input and send it to 1&2 output or take 3&4 input and send it to 1&2 output. Thus same speakers different preamps/processors. I Can switch between 2-channel vinyl and 7.1 HT just fine. My surrounds are still passive. I'm also more than happy with the euro/phoenix connections. Not a big deal at all. Just poking a bit of fun, that is all...I must have forgotten the smiles.