Xilica - Repaired :-)

Ziggurat

We should be able to figure this out. The outputs from the Xilica are impedance balanced only. Meaning the - (cold output) is just an impedance to ground and no active signal. Are you using a two conductor twisted pair cable with shield? If not you need to. With a twisted pair cable you should be able to connect the - output of the Xilica to the RCA connector's ground at the end of the cable that plugs into your amp. Do not short the - to the ground on the Xilica. Also connect the shield of your cable to the ground on the Xilica and the RCA connector's ground only at the amp input end. Have you done this configuration?

Also curious how do you know its 1500 Hz? Are you measuring it?

Also do you have any Dummy Plugs?

Lots of questions to answer here:

I purchased the 8080 because it was the only one that was available to me at the time.  I was under the impression that there was no issue going from Euroblock to RCA, so I felt safe in doing so.  Maybe I have erred here.

Yes I am using 2-conductor wire with a shield  - what is commonly called 'microphone cable', and yes, I have tried all manner of formats for the shield - every combination possible, as best I can tell.  Still, the instant one of the 'hot' pins makes contact with the RCA input of any of my amps, I get a 1500hz whistle through the K402 horn - predominantly the right channel.

Yes I have 'measured' it at 1500hz using "Spectroid" app ap on my phone.  This has proven in the past to be relatively accurate for general purpose, and registers a consistent peak at 1500hz when I am experiencing the noise.

I cannot think of any EMI sources nearby, or within my house, except maybe the roadside transformer.  None of my other gear registers this kind of noise or interference. I will try turning everything off in the house this evening.  I will report back.

If the "noise" is predominantly around 1500 Hz (or there abouts) then Wardsweb's comment is is very interesting. You might consider plugging the Xilica into a different circuit. Use a long extension cord and test using other outlets (of course on different circuits). It is possible there is something on the current circuit that has a dimmer control or a motor (eg, air conditioning compressor). 

The advice you have been getting mostly is for a problem when mixing balanced and unbalanced circuits (i.e., what to do between pin 1 and 3 on an XLR plug). That generally is more of a low frequency "hum" (60, 120, 180 Hz) or a broad band "hiss". It sounds like what you are getting is more of a "buzz". In that case the finger points toward a motor or dimmer switch etc. Running it from a different circuit (hence the long extension cord) would be diagnostic. 

Just a wild guess, do you happen to have an isolation transformer in your back pocket? Is there an old TV set or computer monitor nearby?

Good luck,

-Tom

2 hours ago, babadono said:

Also try not assigning any of the inputs to the outputs on the Xilica so just the output circuitry of the Xilica is engaged. And your amps of course.

Line Frequency is 60 Hz in NZ?

50Hz @ 230 volts.

5 hours ago, babadono said:

We've lost Ziggy. Perhaps his problem is solved. Or life is getting in the way of audio fun.

Ahoy! You haven't lost me, I've just been adrift on the Sea of Frustration.  

I grew concerned that the noises coming from the Xilica were starting to get worse, with an additional constant tone at about 750hz (15th harmonic? LOL) and assorted cracks and pops, plus a cyclic/rhythmic background hum, so I fully disconnected it from my system and hooked it up in a simplified test system with some old TOA speakers I have laying about.  Exactly the same problem.   

I have detailed all of this in emails to Xilica in Canada who seem to think the power supply has failed, or is in the process thereof.  They have provided the contact details for a service rep here in New Zealand, so the next step will be to get it off there for a birthday.  I hope it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg 🙂

Zig

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, glens said:

Well-engineered to last the warranty period, just!

Made in Chino,oops I mean China:)

So mine will go out right after the 5 year warranty? From what I recall looking inside the unit the power supply is a separate spec'd by Xilica but then outsourced unit and is probably easy to replace as long as they will sell/give you a new one .

I am sure that my Xilica is an exception rather than the rule. I purchased it second hand on Ebay and take full responsibility for the position I am in with it. Xilica have been very good to deal with, so I want to be clear that I won't be slinging any mud in their direction. Electrical stuff goes faulty, no biggy.

The frustration for me has been the isolating the issue. I usually blame myself first, and did so in this case - thinking the cables I had made up were the issue, then moving on to environmental issues, before arriving at the last thing that I wanted to accept :-). No matter, it will be sorted.

Thanks for help and assistance - I will report back once I get it back from service.  In the meantime, the 402's plus their Frankenstein Altec cabinets and valve powerplants sound PHENOMENAL.  I came home from a session with a mate's Leben / Cornwall system last night - great hifi, no doubt, to the big horns at home... less like hifi and more like owning a bunch of musicians that do what I tell them..... 

I sense my endgame in sight with this system...

32 minutes ago, Ziggurat said:

less like hifi and more like owning a bunch of musicians that do what I tell them..... 

Absolutely. The goal you are pursuing is well worth the trouble. When you get it all dialed in watch the faces of your fellow music lovers when they first hear them. I buy fix and sell old Klipsch and I NEVER let them hear the big box until we are all done and they agree what they bought is nice. Then I let them hear much better than nice. You listen to pro gear set up right as your daily music source you can forget what it sounds like to someone who has never heard it before. Familiarity does not breed contempt but you can forget how thin all the other stuff is in comparison and the look on customers faces when the big boys fire up reminds you of that.

34 minutes ago, Ziggurat said:

I sense my endgame in sight with this system...

Darned right. Familiarity will never breed contempt for what you will have but it is nice to have new listeners remind you once in a while what you really DO have. I never let buyers hear my personal system until they have decided they like what they came to hear and buy them. THEN they can listen to what is not for sale.

• Like 1