A Buffet Of Compression Gear

Shiva

I wonder which compressor was PWK's favorite...

I believe I'd be more than a little pissed as a performer to have some yokel like that dude use what I'd done as only a basic ingredient in a subsequent work of art.  That's to say that if I'd wanted a particular sound or effect in the music I created I'd have done it that way.

Back in the day maybe it was more necessary due to other limitations.  Instead of admitting it and moving on these guys go the opposite direction and daisy-chain them.  Unbelievable.

I could only make it through about 3 minutes.    He starts out saying that he cannot see why anyone would not like compression, then goes on to discuss some valid uses for compression in moderation.  I know that he does this for a living, but perhaps he has never heard of compressing everything for loudness?  Either that or he cannot form a coherent argument to save his life.  

18 hours ago, JohnA said:

You guys are needlessly harsh.  You don't have to buy his work.

https://sonicscoop.com/2012/07/30/recording-studio-sweet-spot-alex-sterling-upper-west-side-manhattan/

He starts out saying that he cannot see why anyone would not like compression, then goes on to discuss some valid uses for compression in moderation.  I know that he does this for a living, but perhaps he has never heard of compressing everything for loudness?  Either that or he cannot form a coherent argument to save his life.  

Now, now, now lads.  Consider this.  In Keith Richard's autobiography he tells us that The Stones had a special local radio station. When they were recording they could all climb into a car, drive around a bit, and hear how their latest cut sounded on a car radio.  Why, because back then that was the market for music. Most of it you heard on radio while cruising around. That's where the sales came from. Now crafting a song to be radio friendly is just another form of compression. So if The Stones could do it, and their music sounds great, why should any of us ever complain about compression?

Written by Thebes. Mothers little helper.

• Like 1