Do any of you old farts

mr clean

I can remember when I was just a kid, my mom, dad and I would go to the drive-in most every Friday night. They would watch the feature movie until I fell asleep. Then they would move around to side 2 for the adult films. I guess thats how I learned about the birds and the bees by peeking between the seats. I continued to go as I got older. then in the early 80's the drive-ins started to disappear one by one. Now we have none. I really miss them.

Big D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coytee said:

WHAT???

TMI!!!  11AM and WAS thinking about some breakfast/lunch til I read that!  Guess I'll just have a ham sammich.  No wait, a salad now or a bowl of cereal.  Better yet I think I'll just wait a bit. 

😂  😎

4 hours ago, Coytee said:

When I was (??) maybe 7 years old?  Old enough to leave Mom in the car to go play on the slide before the movie began.  There are several other children doing same.  I got in line for the slide and as I recall, there were literally a number of kids waiting.  So we inched forward...stood, waited...inched forward...got to ladder...waited....walked up a run....waited...  one of those things.

As it happens, there was a "young girl"  (ha, given my age at the time)  anyway, there was a young girl in front of me on the ladder, so she was above me.  No big deal.  It also happens that she was wearing a dress.  No big deal.  As I was climbing the ladder behind (under) her, I looked up to keep a grasp on handles & footpads...  well.... here I was, maybe 7 years old, looking up.  Turns out she wasn't wearing ANYTHING under her dress.

WHAT???

So yes, my eyes were corrupted at a very young age....  what made it memorable (or to be more accurate, NON-forgettable) is not only was she not wearing any undergarments.....  turns out she had a full on case of diaper rash and I got a complete inspection (unintended) of it from about 18 inches away.

I don't recall much more of that evening but I probably went running back to the car, crying or something.  I was horrified at what the future was evidently going to have in store for me.  Heck it's still probably the cause of all my nightmares.

Surprised she could even slide at all with all that skin touching the slide!

On 7/13/2019 at 12:19 PM, mr clean said:

Still ever go to a drive in movie? I like to go a few times a year. Not as fun as it was when I was younger with no bong under the seat and a case of beer in the trunk! We have one about 25 miles from here in Rio Indiana. Its called the Holiday drive in. Anyone ever go or am I the only true fossil on here?

My daughters went to a near by Drive In Theater in New Braunfels with their friends....... they thoroughly enjoyed themselves, and would go again with their friends. I asked them if they liked it better than the now traditional movie theater, but prefer they prefer the indoor. Said the drive in theater was for "special occasions"  which gave the wife and i a chuckle.

Here's the one that I grew up on.....  it was demo'ed long ago. Nothing by fast-food joints occupying that patch of earth now.

Border Inn.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

Lol, I’m in my 50’s and the heyday is a little before my time. I’ve only been once and the two around here closed up.

Shame. Back when it would have mattered, no female would have gone with me anyway. I was a complete geek.

WAS!?!?!?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I always hated drive-ins.  Lousy sound.  Dirty windshields.  Nearby, steamed up, rocking cars were distracting.  Once the Victorian Age was over (c. 1965), anything that could be done in a car could be done better in the spare room in the parents' basement.

I couldn't believe a few misguided folk I knew saw the likes of Ben-Hur, Around the World in 80 Days (1956 version, in Todd-AO), Lawrence of Arabia, and, a few years later, 2001: A Space Odyssey in drive-ins, while I saw them in Glorious 70mm and 6 channel stereophonic sound. 

3 hours ago, garyrc said:

I always hated drive-ins.  Lousy sound.  Dirty windshields.  Nearby, steamed up, rocking cars were distracting.  Once the Victorian Age was over (c. 1965), anything that could be done in a car could be done better in the spare room in the parents' basement.

I couldn't believe a few misguided folk I knew saw the likes of Ben-Hur, Around the World in 80 Days (1956 version, in Todd-AO), Lawrence of Arabia, and, a few years later, 2001: A Space Odyssey in drive-ins, while I saw them in Glorious 70mm and 6 channel stereophonic sound. 

On the other hand, Easy Rider was perfect at the drive-in.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, garyrc said:

You listen thur your car stereo now.

• Thanks 1

Used to enjoy going to them when I was a kid with my parents. Went with friends and or a girlfriend through high school in the late seventies up to about 81. I haven't seen one around in a long time. A real shame as I enjoyed them - especially once they started broadcasting the sound on FM. If you had a half decent system in your car it was pretty good. I guess these days with the value of land one would have to be outside of or on the very fringe of a city. This is something I would support making a comeback.

• Like 2

The last one I went to was near Pearl back in the 90's.  You typically brought a cooler and lawn chairs and sat in front of the car, or pick-ups would back in for tail gating.  A nice tropical breeze was a plus.  The old beetle didn't have a working radio much less one with fm so we brought a portable.  It was the last on the island and is long gone.  Back in Mineral Wells Texas the family used to go to the drive in on the edge of town.  It was across the highway from the US Brick factory and the whole screen was built out of red brick.  Probably the most impressive drive in structure I have ever seen.  Back in the early 80's it had been converted into a bar/pool hall, it's a dry county so you had to pay a token "membership" fee to partake.  The closest for a long time had been one in Graham, about 2 or 3 counties (50x50 mile Texas counties) west, but I have heard someone opened a new one up near the river in Ft. Worth.  That's still a good hour away and I haven't checked it out.  Overall I saw some good movies at them and the experience was more fun than being all serious about surround sound and air conditioned comfort.  Some here know my opinion of "films" in general so that shouldn't be too much of a surprise.  Caddyshack with college buds in the Chicago area was a blast, btw.

• Like 1