Design the right system? Please help!

farmerrob

Hey Y’all,

I’m looking to put a system into our master suite. I’m new here and love quality sound and could really use some input and guidance. I live in central Florida and have noticed some good used equipment come onto the market. I was initially only thinking new but am considering used now as well. I’m not looking at doing a lot of work or restoration though. But, there are even some upgraded KHorns for sale nearby. 

So here’s some details: my room is 18x26’ with 12 ‘ ceiling. Tile floors, french doors on one end and open hall entry on other end, and 2 windows on one long wall and another regular door on corner of opposite long wall. My desires for the system: are to use for movies, streaming, tv shows, concert video, and some casual music listening. My starting budget is now $7-10k. I can add pieces over the next year to increase the budget. I can start with just the fronts/ht receiver amp and grow system if that turns out to be the best final direction. But, I’m really eager to hear from the community guidance, wisdom and experiences in order to make a happy and wise decision. This should be my last system. 

I initially was looking to buy the top reference premier line with r/l/c and svs subs and possibly RP rears and sides. And anthem mrx520 or 720. But, now I’m open to whatever as I started seeing the heritage series, kpt904’s etc. please help! Thanks Rob

• Like 1

Welcome! I’m in central Florida as well. I have the RF- 7 IIs paired with a NAD 777 v3 and an SVS PC-12 plus cylindrical sub, similar set up to what you want. Great choice! Love mine for movies, shakes the house for sure. Music is great with the NAD and RF-7 combo for sure. 

In the back I have 4 Rs-52 II surrounds and it is fantastic. 

Talk talk to @MetropolisLakeOutfitters, I got my SVS sub from him and he has the best prices around, especially on the new RF-7 IIIs and Forte IIIs.

Only other thing your can consider that comes to mind is the Forte III

13983485-A2ED-45F3-ACA9-7EA522F605E1.jpeg

• Like 1

Get a great subwoofer.

For main speakers, I'd consider, in order of preference, most preferred at the top:

• Klipsch Jubilee for L and R, and if you are going to get an acoustically transparent front projection screen (eventually) and projector, then Jubilee for center, also.  Advantages: Very low modulation distortion, extraordinary dynamics.
  • Klipschorns (preferably the new one, AK6) for L and R, with La Scala AL5 for Center.  Advantages: Very low modulation distortion, extraordinary dynamics.
  • Forte III for L,R,C  OR RF 7 III
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, farmerrob said:

This should be my last system. 

I initially was looking to buy the top reference premier line with r/l/c and svs subs and possibly RP rears and sides. And anthem mrx520 or 720. But, now I’m open to whatever as I started seeing the heritage series, kpt904’s etc. please help! Thanks Rob

17 hours ago, farmerrob said:

My starting budget is now $7-10k. 

Don't get Reference Premier if you have a starting budget like that and can add more later.  At least get RF-7III, those are the most popular speaker I carry.  Heritage is cool but in my opinion it doesn't make a lot of sense to build a home theater system around two Heritage speakers if you plan to use Reference surrounds.  The only other feasible choice in my opinion is a pro system, maybe KI-396-SMA-II.  Of course there's 904's and Jubilees as well.  

Did I read it right in that there is only one long wall that is clean?  That room size would be nice if you could put the speakers on a short wall and build a false wall for a projector screen but it sounds like you can't.  

• Like 1

Hi Cory, thanks for reaching out. That short wall would not work. But, y’all are giving out. Some good advice. I’m really thinking of the rf7iii I’m wondering though what amp ht receiver setup would work best.

Would it be better to go pro like you said? Or maybe fortes or Lascalas, or Cornwall’s like others. But, a forum member near me has used Klipschorns near me upgraded at $3500. But, not sure they’re right fit for the room. 

Man this is going to be tough. Thanks, rob