Another "Center Channel " recommendation

Kidd

I have 2 Forte 111 and my friend says I need a center for voices when watching TV----  so been looking at them - reading reviews here and elsewhere .

Looks like the biggest one may not be the best , I forget why .

Y'all say what ????

Also , when I want to listen to music only , the center  interferes  or not ??

Thanks ,y'all 

Hello Kidd!

i bought F3s a couple months ago and have been experimenting for the perfect center. Of course another F3 in the middle would be the perfect match but how many people have the room to spare. So I started with an academy center modified with crites tweeter and crossover. If I wasn’t curious it would of been a done deal, game over, awesome speaker. Next I tried a stock klipsch 650 thx. It went deeper than the academy with a richer midrange but did not have the detail the academy had. Once again, in a vacuum either speaker would be great. Finally I plugged in a single heresy iii. It’s seamless.  I try to critique it separately but I cannot because it’s all one stage! Very happy right now.... of course until a get a great deal on a single cherry f3.....

music wise there are so many more informed peeps around, I mostly rely on some old heresys.

13 hours ago, Kidd said:

rc 64 111  , wow , that's $1500 for a center speaker 

which is going between speakers that are $2,000 each.  It's not really inappropriate. :)  If possible just get a third Forte, only down side is that if you're using a TV it will be higher than what most people consider to be ideal.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you , gentleman .

I need to improve  TV dialog  and I lean towards   center speaker because I can place it on it's side , standing tall  next to my F3  , because of space .

And I do not lean towards   buying one  for  $1500  ----  RP 504 for $650  I can see  .

Also considering the bookshelf  600m  for  $550    

What is different about  signal to a center  speaker  that makes  dialog more clear ??????

24 minutes ago, Kidd said:

Thank you , gentleman .

I need to improve  TV dialog  and I lean towards   center speaker because I can place it on it's side , standing tall  next to my F3  , because of space .

And I do not lean towards   buying one  for  $1500  ----  RP 504 for $650  I can see  .

Also considering the bookshelf  600m  for  $550    

What is different about  signal to a center  speaker  that makes  dialog more clear ??????

You might check with Cory @MetropolisLakeOutfitters he is our local Klipsch dealer, he might have a deal for you.

The center channel from the surround sound processor in your AVR is where the signal comes from. Get the best matching center you can. Like Frzinvt said, try to match the series if you can.

• Like 1

Since you have Forte as your LR, I'd never go for anything else than another Forte or at least another heritage speaker as your center. Music never comes out of a center channel, unless you listen in "all channel stereo". The center channel is the most important speaker in a HT setup. Thats where all dialogue and 90% of sound comes from. 

I found a Klipsch Academy center speaker for $325.00 on Craigslist and it is a perfect match for my Forte's... the Klipsch Academy has long been out of production, but they can still be found on the secondary market.

Edited by Dustyzz
  • Like 1

As much as I like the look of center channel speakers they are, by design, highly flawed.

See here this detailed Audioholics report with measurements that really clearly demonstrates the folly of the horizontal layout and the benefits of using a regular speaker for center channel duties. 

If I had Fortes with their controlled directivity and imaging, I'd not bother with a centre at all. 

I started with RP 250c between Forte III’s. Then I tried RP 160 as center. I even tried two RP160’s,  but then worried about combing and didn’t hear much improvement over one. 

Finally went with Heresy III. I liked it so much, I just got another pair of Heresy III’s to act as surround speakers. 

• Like 2

I own the RC-64 III and the RP-600M.  I am a huge proponent of "get the best center speaker you can afford."  It's high quality you want, not "timbre matching."

I agree with others that a Forte III would be the best match for your current F3 pair.  I know you only have room for a horizontal center.

The RC-64 III is the best center speaker you can get.  Voices are crystal clear the bass is strong.  This would work well between any speakers I've ever heard,

The RP-600M is very versatile.  I've run them as mains and in the middle SPL's they are impressive.  They don't play as well at low SPL, they are thin compared to the RC-64.  At VERY high SPL they run out of gas and compress somewhat, something the RC-64 will not do.    If you listen at normal sound levels the 600M's will not disappoint. 

Note that there is an RP-600C an MTM design, a $500 center.  I personally like dialog out of 6.5 to 7 inch woofers but I've never heard the RP-600C.  Having not heard the other Klipsch RP center channels with smaller woofers but sight unseen I'd go with the RP-600C.

I suggest you send a PM to our local Klipsch dealers Cory @MetropolisLakeOutfitters or Steve @Scrappydue, they work together.  They are knowledgeable and can help with your choice.  I bought my RP-600M from Cory.  He has great prices and service, quick shipping.

7 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I own the RC-64 III and the RP-600M.  I am a huge proponent of "get the best center speaker you can afford."  It's high quality you want, not "timbre matching."

I agree with others that a Forte III would be the best match for your current F3 pair.  I know you only have room for a horizontal center.

The RC-64 III is the best center speaker you can get.  Voices are crystal clear the bass is strong.  This would work well between any speakers I've ever heard,

The RP-600M is very versatile.  I've run them as mains and in the middle SPL's they are impressive.  They don't play as well at low SPL, they are thin compared to the RC-64.  At VERY high SPL they run out of gas and compress somewhat, something the RC-64 will not do.    If you listen at normal sound levels the 600M's will not disappoint. 

Note that there is an RP-600C an MTM design, a $500 center.  I personally like dialog out of 6.5 to 7 inch woofers but I've never heard the RP-600C.  Having not heard the other Klipsch RP center channels with smaller woofers but sight unseen I'd go with the RP-600C.

I suggest you send a PM to our local Klipsch dealers Cory @MetropolisLakeOutfitters or Steve @Scrappydue, they work together.  They are knowledgeable and can help with your choice.  I bought my RP-600M from Cory.  He has great prices and service, quick shipping.

He already chose a very closely matched center (Heresy III) over the recommended mismatched ones.  If you cannot distinguish the differences in timbre' that is fine but don't suggest the incorrect mismatched centers to others.  No software or program built into you receiver or preamp is going to change the timbre' of a speaker.  Having the correctly matched center speaker which is the most important speaker in a home theater makes all the difference in the world.  When it comes to quality I think the Heresy III is equal if not "higher quality" than the mismatched center you are pushing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frzninvt said:

He already chose a very closely matched center (Heresy III) over the recommended mismatched ones. 

If you cannot distinguish the differences in timbre' that is fine but don't suggest the incorrect mismatched centers to others.  No software or program built into you receiver or preamp is going to change the timbre' of a speaker.  Having the correctly matched center speaker which is the most important speaker in a home theater makes all the difference in the world.  When it comes to quality I think the Heresy III is equal if not "higher quality" than the mismatched center you are pushing.

I missed that he choose the H3, a solid choice IMO even though I've not heard the F3 or the H3.  Thanks for the heads-up, I didn't read down far enough. 

+++

There are divergent opinions on "timbre matching"and all opinions are OK with me.  I consider "timbre matching" obsolete dogmatic thinking which has been replaced by the "highest quality center" thinking.  Based on my knowledge and experience there has never been a case where a high quality center speaker has made the inferior or "not timbre matched" mains sound worse.  The high quality center WILL make dialog sound more clear than a lessor center.

I'll offer my knowledge and experience, others can offer their contrary opinions as well and let the reader decide what works best in his house, with his equipment, with his ears.

• Like 1

I've tested my mid-tier $650 RP-600M's as L/R with a flagship $1500 RC-64 III.  The RC-64 is not timbre matched but I can assure you it sounds great with the 600M's. 

The reason for that is they play completely different discrete channel content from two sources.  For multi-channel content the L/R plays background music, the RC-64 plays dialog.  There is no "timbre matching" to be had.  Voices are crystal clear and the RC-64 plays better both down low and at higher SPL than the 600M's.

The RC-64 III is also not "timbre matched" to the RF-83's.  Also sounds pretty good.  :emotion-21:  :D

591494550_RP-600Mbi-amprightsideview_800.thumb.jpg.b8712124600503367435c1ae83b68773.jpg

RC 64 lll is what I purchased from Cory , I am spoiled !!

Much better for voices , now I can hear dialog 

Anyone have  ringing in your ears ??  I sure do .        Does it interfere  with music listening ?  

Because of the ringing , I am reconsidering whether I should  more  forward  with spending more money on  equipment , like a tube amp  .

8 hours ago, Kidd said:

RC 64 lll is what I purchased from Cory , I am spoiled !!

Much better for voices , now I can hear dialog 

Anyone have  ringing in your ears ??  I sure do .        Does it interfere  with music listening ?  

Because of the ringing , I am reconsidering whether I should  more  forward  with spending more money on  equipment , like a tube amp  .

You should spend money on getting your tinnitus under control first.