New to forum

jabert

I'm new to the forum and looking for information/advice. I just picked up a pair of 1985 Cornwall II at a garage sale, cheap! They need some TLC, but the cabinets are in good shape. Still have the serial # and inspection certificate on the back. And, amazingly, the paper woofers are intact! So . . . general question about your experience with the model, how much they might be worth, and if there is a replacement woofer since they probably won't last much longer. Would like to replace them without negating the value of the speaker as an intact original. Thanks for any help and advice! JA

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jabert said:

amazingly, the paper woofers are intact!

Does not surprise me :D  I have Cornwall I's and the woofers are in perfect shape.  Would not worry about replacements :) I did upgrade the crossover ... but did not hear a difference :( 

• Like 1

To the OP:  if you were wondering why everyone says don’t worry about the woofers, it’s because they’re more like musical instrument amplifier speakers than most home audio drivers.  Typical home audio woofers have foam surrounds beyond the paper/metal/plastic/whatever main part, and the foam dries up and falls apart after 15-20 years.  The Klipsch Heritage Series woofers, on the other hand, have doped-paper surrounds.  The dope in this case is a sticky black substance that keeps the paper from drying out, and keeps it flexible.

My oldest speakers are a pair of 1974 La Scalas, and as far as I know, the woofers are original, and they still sound just fine.  The Cornwalls and their brothers like the La Scala, Belle, Klipschorn, and Heresy are called Heritage Series for a reason.  Your kids will likely inherit them one day.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the replies and good advice. I was surprised to see that the surrounds weren't made of rubber, like so many speakers from that era. That is always the first thing to go - had that problem with an original pair of Advents. I guess Klipsch had longevity in mind!

I'll send photos after I finish cleaning them up. There was some water damage to the base of one of the speakers, so I'm re-gluing the oak veneer.

Paid $200 for the pair. They're worth more than that to me as simply beautiful pieces of furniture!

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, jabert said:

Paid $200 for the pair. They're worth more than that to me as simply beautiful pieces of furniture!

Oh, you paid way too much.  Waaay to much for Cornwall II's.  Because you're new here, I'll double your purchase price if you'll sell them to me.  Because I'm a nice guy. 

Klipsch Heritage used prices ver 2019-06.xlsx

Just so you won't have to research the spreadsheet prices, I'll tell you now that your CW II's average $935.   They are actually hard to find on the used market.  People who have them just don't sell them.

Around here we call that a Youthman deal, an unbelievable price for a great speaker and we ALL wish we had your luck.  Nice pick up.  B)

• Haha 2

Great Price!! I'm curious to see what they look like, I found a pair of Cornwall II's about 5yrs ago for $150 and they have some blemishes. The tags are missing, but I think they are Oak Oil and the terminal cups say 1985, and the grills are Brown. I will never (pretty sure) sell them 

For that little of money for an "entry fee", it wouldn't be much of an expense at all to get some new veneer on them if they are that bad.  Unless a sanding and re-oiling is all they need then it's a real cheap admission.  Congrats on the find!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, jabert said:

I was surprised to see that the surrounds weren't made of rubber, like so many speakers from that era. That is always the first thing to go - had that problem with an original pair of Advents. I guess Klipsch had longevity in mind!

Advents were terrible for that, I had a pair of Baby Advents I got new but really cheap. I had them may 15 years and had to replace the surrounds twice, the surrounds just rotted and fell apart. Gave them to a son in law, there his problem now, they did sound pretty good but were terribly inefficient.

You got a steal.

• Like 1

I knew I was "stealing" the speakers at $200, and I figure what the seller didn't know didn't hurt him! He was glad to be rid of them. I appreciate the feedback on their value. Not ready to sell them quite yet . . . just got 'em!!

The cabinets themselves are in great shape - needed cleaning and oiling. I cleaned the grills and reglued the velcro - they look brand new. The only area that needs repairing is the veneer on the base. Previous owner was careless when moving them and there is some water damage, as I said. Anyone have a good source for stainable red oak veneer?