Heresy Cabinet Repair-WARNING; GRAPHIC CONTENT!

Peter P.

I recently noticed the side panel of one of my walnut Heresy II's was separating from the end panel. This had happened once before about 18 months ago and I thought I fixed it by removing the woofer and flowing wood glue into the panel junction. Now that it was occurring again, I decided glue wasn't going to cut it and I was going to have to effect more permanent repairs.

I don't know how the cabinets are constructed, but I think they're merely glued together, then the veneer is added on top. I wanted to reattach the panels with finishing nails, but I sure wasn't going to remove the veneer to do so only to have to re-veneer the cabinet. Not this home boy.

I bought the smallest finishing nails available that were double the cabinet thickness in length. I measured everything 3 times to ensure my nails would strike wood. I then drilled undersized pilot holes through the veneer and outside panel to prevent any splitting that might occur.

Here, you can see the gap at the junction of the side panels.

Klipsch Heresy - 1.jpg

The line drawn on the painter's tape tells me if I drill on the line, I should hit the adjacent panel at mid-thickness.

Klipsch Heresy - 2.jpg

I used a band clamp to force the cabinet to close the gap and hold the panels in the proper orientation during drilling.

Klipsch Heresy - 3.jpg

Here's the ugly part: I used a nail set to countersink the finishing nails. Well, these nails weren't dimpled to hold the nail set in place so I had a couple "oopsies". Turn away if you're getting squeamish!

Klipsch Heresy - 4.jpg

I used a colored wax wood pencil I had to fill the errant dimples and the nail heads. Besides the two vertical  spots I nailed, I put one in the top edge of the panel. The pencil blended so well (it was unplanned; I merely used something I had on hand which I thought was close enough) you can barely see it.

Klipsch Heresy - 5.jpg

Here's the finished product.

Klipsch Heresy Finished - 1.jpg

• Like 1