Thinking about TV upgrade. Thoughts on Sony XBR-65A9G vs LG OLED65C9PUA?

K5SS

I have been contemplating a TV upgrade of my Samsung UN65JS8500FXZA 4k TV for a couple months now. I think I have finally convinced myself that these two models would be worth the significant investment.

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED65C9PUA-oled-4k-tv

https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-a9g-series?showModelPrices=true

The Sony looked the best but it’s really close, so close that I might be trying to just talk myself into the Sony. I went to Best Buy today and I spoke to two different guys in Magnolia, who sounded very knowledgeable, and both said Sony was the way to go.

They said that the panels are both made by LG but it was all about the amazing processing that the Sony offers. They both brought up a new Netflix feature where the Sony will know the ideal 4k calibration for all sources and auto adjust the panel, for ideal picture.

Now the question becomes, is the Sony worth the $1,000 premium over the LG? With the $1,000 savings, I could buy the Panasonic DP-UB820 that I have been eyeballing and still lace $550 in my pocket.

I am in no rush and can wait a few months, for a big enough sale. When is the best time to buy a TV, besides the holidays?

Decisions, decisions..

0d22e2a49aa9a03af5b35ec62a302884.jpg

abb6d5caacffee5ea768c93729b5fed9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, K5SS said:

Now the question becomes, is the Sony worth the $1,000 premium over the LG? With the $1,000 savings, I could buy the Panasonic DP-UB820 that I have been eyeballing and still lace $550 in my pocket.

Are you in the US?  I didn't think you could buy a Panny here.

My vote is for Sony.  Great tech, reputation for reliability.

I researched 65-75" TV's rather extensively during Black Friday 2018 and I passed on OLED due to fear of burn-in.  I went with Vizio PQ65 Quantum.

You are looking at TOTL OLED TV's which are very pricey.  My philosophy to to buy cheap and replace every five years or so.  If you are going to keep this for a long time I think it's worthwhile to spend just a bit more and get the leading edge technology which hopefully won't be obsolete soon.

The two best times to buy a TV is Black Friday month.  The other traditional "best time" is in the spring just before the new TV's come out and they reduce the price of the old ones.

I like this website for great TV reviews and other helpful info on how big of a TV to buy:

https://www.rtings.com/tv

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Are you in the US?  I didn't think you could buy a Panny here.

They had it at the Magnolia, in the Best Buy close to me. I was looking at the UB-9000 but at double the price, I am not sure it’s worth it. 

Honestly, both the Sony and the LG are great choices.  And yes, Sony is considered to have an edge in the image processing but I don't know that it is worth the extra $1000.  I was considering getting the LG OLED but instead saved money and got their highest end 65" LED this year instead.  I really regret that decision.  My brother just got the LG OLED and it looks great.  He has nothing but good things about it.

• Like 1

I usually keep a TV about 2 - 3 years, which should also be factored. I’d love to see the Sony drop to the $3k range. I am thinking it might be best to wait another 5 months, to take advantage of the deals.

The Samsung I am using, is no slouch but doesn’t look anything like the OLEDs I have seen in the stores👀

12 hours ago, Snowstorm1980 said:

Honestly, both the Sony and the LG are great choices.  And yes, Sony is considered to have an edge in the image processing but I don't know that it is worth the extra $1000.  I was considering getting the LG OLED but instead saved money and got their highest end 65" LED this year instead.  I really regret that decision.  My brother just got the LG OLED and it looks great.  He has nothing but good things about it.

I believe that LG makes the panels for Sony.

In Feb , I finally replaced my 13 year old Panny plasma with a 65 inch LG  OLED 

All reviews leans toward  OLED as best picture .

I am amazed  by how good the picture is , blows me away , looks 3D.

Led  looks too plastic , too sharp , too unreal 

Oled  is very life like 

I should of  purchased an Oled long ago 

• Like 1

I've seen pics of OLEDs after a couple of years where the pixels get re-calibrated or whatever they call it.  Half the TV looks fine and down the middle to the other side it looks washed out.

I'm glad I stayed away from it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I pulled into a local store called Video Only and they made me a deal I couldn’t pass on.

Ended up picking up a new in box, LG 65” C9 OLED TV for $2,500 out the door with a 5 year in-house warranty. I went to Best Buy, which is where I buy most of my electronics and they had a sale that would have been $3,700 out the door, with a 5 year in-house warranty.

I was thinking of the 65” Sony Master Series A9 but it lacked HDMI 2.1 and was going to be about $4,400 out the door. I tested them side by side and I actually preferred the black performance of the LG C9, over the Sony A9.

With that said, I would have likely gone with the Sony if there were anywhere near the same price but I definitely didn’t see a $1,900 difference.

Going through the setup now..
1a37cda37659b772d340f3beb7480180.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

On 7/28/2019 at 6:48 PM, K5SS said:

Ended up picking up a new in box, LG 65” C9 OLED TV for $2,500 out the door with a 5 year in-house warranty.

Good job in making a decision.  I am the world's worst at procrastinating, at looking for the perfect deal instead of a good deal I can pick up and start enjoying right away.

Your LG might not be the 100% bestest most perfect ever in its price range but it is far from the worst.  Let us know how you like it.  B)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Good job in making a decision.  I am the world's worst at procrastinating, at looking for the perfect deal instead of a good deal I can pick up and start enjoying right away.

Your LG might not be the 100% bestest most perfect ever in its price range but it is far from the worst.  Let us know how you like it.  B)

=== considering LG manufacturers All OLED panels for every manufacturer, the LG is a good choice. All others who buy LG panels use their own proprietary software which makes it “their” TV. The Sony Master Series is rated as one if not the best overall but at what cost. 

Incremental differences at best, much like hi-end HiFi —

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Some people just enjoy the hunt, as much as the trophy. 

I went in just to look but the deal was just too good to pass on. I prefer the trophy over the hunt so I am very pleased with the purchase.

With all of that said, I should have made the OLED leap earlier! The picture quality is astonishing.

With that said, I changed the way I have everything hooked up. I am now running an optical cable from the TV to my Denon X3400 since the receiver doesn’t support Dolby Vision and I am just plugging my Xbox and cable box directly into the TV. 

I know I am losing out on a ton of the newest audio formats but I didn’t want anything degrading the picture quality. Plus, I am just down to a 2.2 channel setup at the moment so I doubt I am missing much.

Would you guys make any changes with the way I have everything connected? 

• Like 1