Thinking about TV upgrade. Thoughts on Sony XBR-65A9G vs LG OLED65C9PUA?

K5SS

1 hour ago, richieb said:

=== which step do you find yourself on? Let me guess - you use the escalator?

37 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I'm beyond help.

Last year during a power outage, Carl was stuck on an escalator for 4 hours. It was hell!

• Haha 2

On 8/2/2019 at 11:22 AM, K5SS said:

Some people just enjoy the hunt, as much as the trophy. 

I went in just to look but the deal was just too good to pass on. I prefer the trophy over the hunt so I am very pleased with the purchase.

With all of that said, I should have made the OLED leap earlier! The picture quality is astonishing.

With that said, I changed the way I have everything hooked up. I am now running an optical cable from the TV to my Denon X3400 since the receiver doesn’t support Dolby Vision and I am just plugging my Xbox and cable box directly into the TV. 

I know I am losing out on a ton of the newest audio formats but I didn’t want anything degrading the picture quality. Plus, I am just down to a 2.2 channel setup at the moment so I doubt I am missing much.

Would you guys make any changes with the way I have everything connected? 

Yes , the picture is amazing ,  it's hard to imagine something could look so good , but it does 

• Like 1

Just pulled the trigger on a "65 LG Oled 

The comparable Sony Oled was $300. cheaper but with the stand the tv is leaned back . Good if it is positioned lower but mine will be sitting on top of a Belle and wall mounting is not an option . 

Opted for the white glove delivery so I should get it in 7 to 10 days .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, sunburnwilly said:

OD3ByUOSiaTIe2Po1SwMA.jpg

Congratulations! This was one of the best upgrades I have done, in my modest setup. The picture is amazing.

Since calibration was mentioned, are you peeps having your sets professionally calibrated? I likely won’t have this done, until the TV has a permanent home, as I have heard TV’s should be calibrated to the room.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, K5SS said:

Congratulations! This was one of the best upgrades I have done, in my modest setup. The picture is amazing.

Since calibration was mentioned, are you peeps having your sets professionally calibrated? I likely won’t have this done, until the TV has a permanent home, as I have heard TV’s should be calibrated to the room.

I've had my Kuro done twice.  Once shortly after I got it and broke it in then about 6 or 7 years later.  Who you get to do it is as important as the gear they use.  I would certainly do it again when this set dies and I get another nice panel.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 9:22 AM, wstrickland1 said:

Oh how very nice sir!!

Thanks Billy !

Out of the box it's pretty nice and really sharp .

Throwing a lot of hours at it and will then try some of AVS forum settings recommendations .

Pro calibration we'll see my older eyes might not appreciate the difference anymore .

Still have the Kuro but it's suffering from the common but dreaded 8 Blue Blinks of Death ; bad voltage regulator . I can usually get it to work but there are times when it will go for days without working . Still looks great when it complies .

I get a warm fuzzy feeling when it decides to work :smile:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sunburnwilly said:

Thanks Billy !

Out of the box it's pretty nice and really sharp .

Throwing a lot of hours at it and will then try some of AVS forum settings recommendations .

Pro calibration we'll see my older eyes might not appreciate the difference anymore .

Still have the Kuro but it's suffering from the common but dreaded 8 Blue Blinks of Death ; bad voltage regulator . I can usually get it to work but there are times when it will go for days without working . Still looks great when it complies .

I get a warm fuzzy feeling when it decides to work :smile:

It had a good run either way. 

Try to get out to a show sometime. My girls very much enjoyed hanging out with you and would like to again.

• Like 1