Outdoor TV

rplace

I learned I should have done this years ago! I bought a cheap Samsung a wall bracket and some cord management material. Wife and I are outside now enjoying it. I also bought a cover for it from Amazon instead of building a cabinet for it. Of course Klipsch KI-172's for sound 😀

To test the waters I took my cheap Costco 42"er out and ran wires through a slightly open window. Quite a bit of reflection the screen even in partial shade. I'm guessing the dedicated outdoor TVs must have some sort of matte finish or a way to negate reflections

1 hour ago, rplace said:

To test the waters I took my cheap Costco 42"er out and ran wires through a slightly open window. Quite a bit of reflection the screen even in partial shade. I'm guessing the dedicated outdoor TVs must have some sort of matte finish or a way to negate reflections

Yes, outdoor TVs are completely different than indoor types. They can be completely weather proof and have brighter screens. Sunbrite makes a good outdoor TV.

12 hours ago, rplace said:

Seems like lots of you have outdoor living spaces. Any of you have a TV outside? What lessons learned can you share? 

Yes.

Bring it in before Hurricane🌀Irma barrels through? ;) 

Don't wait until the next hurricane season to reinstall it.:o

Bill

I've had a TV outside for about 7 years.  In Texas, my advice is get a good fan for the summer, and a good heater for the winter.  We really do use our outdoor space all year.  Oh, and of course, get a pair of Klipsch outdoor speakers and an external amp for your TV sound.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I agree with all of this, in a covered area it should be good, you could always put another cover over it when it not being used to keep dampness off of it. 

TV's today are pretty much disposable, if you don't go to big or silly with fancy features there not that expensive.

Just looked some up for fun, and this is BB, you can find better prices than this. 

50" 4K smart tv   $300 Vizio

50" 4K smart tv  $300 LG

43" 4K smart tv $279 Samsung

40" smart 1080P $190 Vizeo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a deck above my walkout basement with a product called "Dry space". So the deck is effectively 1 story above my pool area. The Dry Space diverts all the rain water to a gutter at the far end of the deck. Think screened in porch WITHOUT the screen for 40x14 feet in front of my pool. Covered/shaded above you but all sides open to the elements. What I find with my "normal" TV is incredible glare off the glass of the TV. No amount of brightness or contrast makes it viewable from the pool. If you are 5 feet away under the shaded deck it is fine. I'm hoping to get okay, not great, viewing from the actual pool. Right now you have to be out of the water sitting at a table to make is useful. Mind you it is sunny and lots of reflections from the pool water.

Long term goal is to casually watch the Tour de France for 2-3 hours while floating in the pool with a drink in hand. Then move closer for critical viewing the last 45 minutes or so and maximize my outdoor time in July. I think it will be great for those first few football games of the season when the weather is too nice to be inside.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any guess on size? This panels to cover the underside of the deck are 16" on centers. No contest between standard TV and one designed for outdoors. Zero glare and I can watch with polarized sunglasses. The $300 dollar Costco tv Was literally a black rectangle with sun glasses on. 

I'm thrilled for last week of the tour for France. Looking forward to football 😊

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 3:24 PM, rplace said:

Any guess on size? This panels to cover the underside of the deck are 16" on centers. No contest between standard TV and one designed for outdoors. Zero glare and I can watch with polarized sunglasses. The $300 dollar Costco tv Was literally a black rectangle with sun glasses on. 

I'm thrilled for last week of the tour for France. Looking forward to football 😊

It sure has a nice bright picture, I will guess a 60" but I feel like it's probably larger...65"

• Like 1