The 12 Most Significant Speakers of all Time

Ceptorman

42 minutes ago, polizzio said:

I owned one of the top 12, the large Advents about 42 years ago. But any article on top 12, or top 10 of anything is subjective by that author.

Fully agreed on the subjectivity.  Interesting...Klipsch would have to be on any list, not a mention of Altec, JBL or Tannoy.

Edited by hanksjim1
typo
  • Like 1

These collections are tricky because we may see the word "significant" and interpret it as "best". 

If they are referring to some of the technology (eg electrostatics or whatever), the manufacturer who first worked out the kinks and got it to a state where it could be mass marketed deserves substantial credit. Keep in mind of course that those who came later would have the advantage of being able to make incremental improvements on the original design. So the first manufacturer would have done something "significant" but the later guys would have perhaps made a better sounding (perhaps "best") speaker. 

In some ways, the Bose 901 or Radio Shack Minimus 7s are "significant" but certainly not in the "best" category.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, richieb said:

^^^^^

^^^^^

=== have to agree on the 901’s. Love ‘em or hate ‘em they were a significant impact and most likely but Bose on the map. And love ‘em or hate ‘em, they ain’t done too bad since, brand wise —

I disagree.  Their objective, per the article:  " I asked our most senior contributors to each name the twelve loudspeakers that had the greatest impact on high-end audio."

What significant impact did the 901s have on high end audio?  They sold a lot of them, but they were not a game changer. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I disagree.  Their objective, per the article:  " I asked our most senior contributors to each name the twelve loudspeakers that had the greatest impact on high-end audio."

What significant impact did the 901s have on high end audio?  They sold a lot of them, but they were not a game changer. 

=== and with that I disagree. Greatest Impact - the Magico Mini ll? Really. Yeah the hi-fi world is pounding its chest over that landmark product. In their day the 901, deservedly or not, introduced a whole group of people into the world of what was then high end. And no, I’m not a 901 homer, never owned ‘em —

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

These collections are tricky because we may see the word "significant" and interpret it as "best.” . . . 

. . . In some ways, the Bose 901 or Radio Shack Minimus 7s are "significant" but certainly not in the "best" category.

I agree with most of the “significant” selections, but would replace #s 4, 5 & 11 with Dynaco A25, Bose 901 and VOTT, not necessarily in that order.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I agree with most of the “significant” selections, but would replace #s 4, 5 & 11 with Dynaco A25, Bose 901 and VOTT, not necessarily in that order.

When you say VOTT, do you mean the Altec A5 or A7 (which were mostly used in movie theaters)/ Or do you mean things like the Altec 19 which was used in the home (and a nice sounding speaker BTW). 

Incidentally and in response to some of the other posts, for a large group of folks - the Bose 901 was a revelation for those who grew up with their parents Sears Silvertone console, or a ford Philco radio. The were cleverly marketed to the military in the PXs and also had a huge advertising budget. They were designed with a slew of drivers firing in different directions. This was a clever way to give a "lively" sound and obscure (not although not eliminate) other problems. For many this was a real step up from what they "knew". Although they are certainly not in the best category, they did move listeners up the ladder (some stayed there and others continued climbing). I am guessing they made a ton of profits on these.

2 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

When you say VOTT, do you mean the Altec A5 or A7 (which were mostly used in movie theaters)/ Or do you mean things like the Altec 19 which was used in the home (and a nice sounding speaker BTW).

I was specifically referring to A5 & A7, but domesticated versions fit too.

I agree completely regarding 901s.

I owned one of the top 12, the large Advents about 42 years ago. But any article on top 12, or top 10 of anything is subjective by that author.

To a degree yes, but read enough articles by enough authors and you'll learn who consistently makes the lists by the collective group of authors. That's where you put your money, or you could just believe your ears.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, jason str said:

The Altec Lansing "Voice of the theater" models A1-A8 was used since the 1940's and still in many theaters and homes today. I can't see how these did not make the list.

Dam good sounding speakers too.

Those were probably in the theater that I frequented in the very early 50's and the sound was outstanding. Music would be played at moderate levels before the movie started and I believe it was taped and some records.

JJK

• Like 1