touchscreen laptop recommendations

tigerwoodKhorns

Recently started with an HP laptop.  It has core i5 8th gen intel, but the main thing impressing me is the solid state drive.  It boots up in a heartbeat and surfs nice and fast with windows and has an hd touchscreen although I like using the keyboard to keep the screen clean.  The next one up in the line has a backlit keyboard which is nice, but I chose to forgo it rather than spend another couple of hundred.  Definitely get a solid state drive...

• Moderators
3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

hd touchscreen although I like using the keyboard to keep the screen clean. 

That's what I hate about touchscreens, I would rather use the keyboard also.

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

The next one up in the line has a backlit keyboard which is nice

My wife's laptop has that, I never tried it but it looks helpful, I don't know if it has a touch screen or not?

My wife has an older Samsung with touchscreen and backlit keyboard.  I do like the keyboard, but hate the touchpad.  Instead of dedicated left and right click buttons you are supposed to press on the corners and it doesn't work worth a damn.  I used to think it was fast, it was faster than the same era Toshiba that I had, but now it feels slow since it is so much slower than my HP with solid state.

We put SSDs in all of our work computers. As much as we can get away with it, we put linux mint on everything. No fluff and stupid games installed. Libre Office. Mint will usually install drivers for whatever hardware you have. Performance is always better that Windows, security is far better.

btw, Lenovo has some nice stuff. So are certain models from Dell, HP.

Bruce

I use a Dell Latitude 5289 12 Inch 2-in-1 Convertible daily to run my business as a software developer. Super light, very fast converts to a tablet with a very nice touch screen. Touch screen is way too shiny so shows lots of finger prints. Other than that no complaints. I've had several Latitudes over the year all very reliable and will take a beating.

The last 3 or 4 I've bought have been through their Outlet. You can really get a good deal if you figure out the exact configuration you want then check back 2 or 3 days in a row till one shows up and buy immediately. Never a problem with Scratch and Dent, Returned or Refurbished.

I agree that a backlit keyboard is a nice to have and a SSD drive it mandatory....well not quite but once you have one you don't want to go back.

3 hours ago, rplace said:

I've had several Latitudes over the year all very reliable and will take a beating.

Always... Latitudes. Almost always been good designs, but they are very good.

My wife has an android tablet, but wants a laptop to save things, mild word processing, etc.  Hobby stuff similar to how we research speakers.   

Any recommendations?

Lenovo C930 

Bought one for my college bound daughter about 3 months ago.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/lenovo-yoga-c930-review/

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'll second the SSD and I've retrofitted some older laptops.  Moving over the OS etc is easy except that some utilities will not duplicate proprietary recovery partitions. Maybe making an image solves this. Buy the biggest you can comfortably afford because the units like empty space.

I've bought several refurbished and open box units from Best Buy and Microcenter with no problem.  These are great ways of saving money.

WMcD

• Like 1