Pioneer SX-3700 with Belles

bkwa1959

I have been playing with different amps, preamps and Int amps with the Klipsch Belles I bought and I really liked the sound I was getting with different combos.Yesterday I thought I would hookup a Pioneer SX-3700 receiver that I have had for years and I was shocked at how well it sounds with the Belles,smooth top end with deep bass and just an all over great sound.

FB36D79E-021B-4D86-8F77-E6C28FD4A921.jpeg

I know what you mean. Belles dont actually "need" lots of power but sometimes there's a good synergy with them. My Belle clones sound great on my 10wpc and 35wpc tube amps but are quite surprising with a 460wpc Carver M-1.0t highly modified amp.  The meters never even move using it and it's as quiet as a mouse.  They also sounded great on the 50wpc McIntosh MC250 I had for awhile. 

I had a pair of Belles with AB crossovers and I could never get them to sound good,I bought a pair of ALK crossovers and that helped them,but I was not happy with them.I then saw this pair of Belles pop up on the forum and they had AB-2 crossovers and they were  a  5 hour drive from me so I bought them and after sealing up the k-55m’s to stop the rattles and then replaced the tweeters(they were bad) with DE-120’s the sound was very nice,I then hooked up the SX-3700 and was shocked.

Just now, Ceptorman said:

Glad there was a sound improvement with the Pioneer. And some people say all amps sound the same.

Wait.....they all don't?  I have been severely misled...  😎

12 hours ago, bkwa1959 said:

I had a pair of Belles with AB crossovers and I could never get them to sound good,I bought a pair of ALK crossovers and that helped them,but I was not happy with them.I then saw this pair of Belles pop up on the forum and they had AB-2 crossovers and they were  a  5 hour drive from me so I bought them and after sealing up the k-55m’s to stop the rattles and then replaced the tweeters(they were bad) with DE-120’s the sound was very nice,I then hooked up the SX-3700 and was shocked.

When I built my Belle clones back in late 2017, I used the original Type AA crossovers and updated the caps on the originals.  Then decided to build a new pair of AA's with all new parts (caps, coils, autoformers, etc) but had emailed back and forth with Roy D about the AB-3 crossovers and their steeper slope designs.  He said he and PWK were experimenting with those more in the later years and I believe they were used in the very last run of the Belles.  There's a boat load of parts in them and I'd pondered building a set but....I'd probably go active before doing that.  Who knows.

Great looking fireplace, by the way.