Record storage cubes organizers, etc

avguytx

It may have been asked before but I'm going to cloud the waters again if so.  What do you guys (and gals) use for record storage?  I've got about 1200 albums, maybe more, and previously used an IKEA Expedit to hold  them. I've kept it at my best friends house who has stored them upstairs in the rack, along with his, for the last 10 years after I moved back from TX.  Now it's time to bring them to our new house and I'm not going to take that rack apart and move it again; I'm leaving it with him for his collection.  I want to stay with something similar as I don't really have time right now to build something so I've looked at the cube organizers at Wal Mart and Target.  I can brace them up a little more and it will be anchored to the wall, of course.  We used the Target cube organizers in the closets of the new house and I customized them with real wood tops to "gussy" them up.  We have a 10' x 14' closet and didn't go with a dresser in the bedroom to leave more space so the cubes worked well with the baskets (per my wife).

I'm looking for something simple and effective and not costly, like the WM and Target cubes, as we don't have an IKEA that close to us and I hate to drive 2 hours to get to one.  Thanks for any input.  Post pictures if you have them.

I know you said no to Ikea, but with a bit of engineering, like building your own Belle speakers, you should be handy enough to find a generic piece of furniture with adjustable shelves. Use  the holes for the shelf holders to put a rod across. Then you could end up with the ability to view them and flip through them like a record store. Me I was lazy and bought the rods from Germany. Arrived in less than a week. Have not had time to buy the Ikea Billy and try it out. Hoping soon.

Seems totally DIY with a bit of effort.

https://www.recordbilly.com/

image.gif

image.jpg

• Like 1

Those are pretty cool but I could see how it would be tough to see/access the upper sections.  Although, the max height I could build to would be a tad under 60" as that's where the wall starts sloping towards the ceiling which I could see them fairly well.  I could definitely build something like that but it's more a time thing than any other reason.  I don't mind looking at the ends of the records as I keep them in alphabetical order anyway.  Thank for those pics and the idea.

Wal-Mart might have something similar, but have you looked at the Member's Mark 8-Cube Room Organizer at your local SAM's Club? It comes with 8 storage bin inserts, but you wouldn’t need those for record storage. I have the 6 Cube version and each cube area will hold 50+ LPs, so the 6 Cube version holds my 300+ albums. Unless the 8 Cube version is different, it should hold 400+ albums. They can be setup vertical or horizontal.

14 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Make your own bin(s)?

Full gallery:  https://imgur.com/gallery/0WrPXer

Yeah, I agree with the stand up and flipping thru them and that's definitely the easiest access. But like someone mentioned on that site, I have either too many albums or not enough space. Lol. I have honestly forgotten how many I have and I may have overshot in saying 1200...it might be more around half that. It's been 10 years since they've been in my immediate possession. Sad, I know. 

2 hours ago, avguytx said:

Yeah, I agree with the stand up and flipping thru them and that's definitely the easiest access. But like someone mentioned on that site, I have either too many albums or not enough space. Lol. I have honestly forgotten how many I have and I may have overshot in saying 1200...it might be more around half that. It's been 10 years since they've been in my immediate possession. Sad, I know. 

Keep 500 or so in heavy rotation close by and in nice looking bins and less used in a spare bedroom. Then move as necessary. No way you listen to 1,200 in a few months