New 7591A tube suggestions

Bonzo

So, this may be a topic that has been discussed previously but times change. I'm just looking for suggestions for a new quad of 7591A's for my Scott 345 receiver. I'm relatively certain the tan base, Scott labeled Westinghouse tubes in it are original. I have read positive things about the new Tung-Sol's. As I recall, there were some height issues with the ones from EH and the new ones will have to fit in the cabinet. Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Here's a pic of the current 7591's.

Scott tubes.jpg

I have EH, JJ and Tung Sol...............but my unit is an LK-72 (299C).

The EH sound good and fit but are huge.  They are tall and also sit against the audio transformers in my unit.  I could not use a case with them due to height.  Still, I continued to use them because the JJs are unimpressive to me and the Tung Sols were not available.

Since the Tung Sols became available they are clearly the better sounding tube and they fit perfectly in my unit.  I am happiest with the Tung Sols.

is there something wrong with the originals? I have tried the EH coin base version and have always gone back to the original westinghouse collar based type. To me they sound considerably better. I have not tried the new collar base Tung-sols so I cannot comment on them.

My thought is that they will not last forever. I think that, value wise, it makes sense to retire them while they still have some life. From what I’ve read, the new production tubes are getting better so I don’t foresee much of any sacrifice in sound. It is very rare to have a vintage tube amp/receiver with the original power tubes that actually still work. I think the value of that out weighs what little, if any, difference in how it sounds and/or performs.

On 7/17/2019 at 10:19 AM, mark1101 said:

The EH sound good and fit but are huge.  They are tall and also sit against the audio transformers in my unit.  I could not use a case with them due to height.  Still, I continued to use them because the JJs are unimpressive to me and the Tung Sols were not available.

Since the Tung Sols became available they are clearly the better sounding tube and they fit perfectly in my unit.  I am happiest with the Tung Sols.

just went through a whole thing with my case.  i still dont know if my case is wrong, if the tung sol 7591 are too tall, or if something is up with how my unit was restored.  I have tung sols in my scott lk 72 and the case i got was just barely too small to fit over the tung sols. i ended up sanding the bottom pieces to give myself enough room for the unit to fit into the case.   either way,  since you have basically the same unit as me, when you have your case on,  is it pretty normal for the heat to even cause the case above the tubes to get warm? feel free to pm me, i would love to talk with someone who has an lk 72

On 7/17/2019 at 10:19 AM, mark1101 said:

to add to my 1st response above,  by "tung sol fits perfectly in my unit", do you mean just in your unit or in the unit with case on it?  the first pic is the case i had to modify (it was advertised as 299 stereomaster case), as you can see it looks different than the more common looking 2nd case pic .  as with alot of us, i am considering buying the 2nd more common case just so i have a perfect fit, but thats assuming the issue with the first one was the model.  i would hate to buy another case and have the same issue,  do you think its the case or the tubes that are the issue. .  any help would be greatly appreciated. 

s-l1600.jpg

1033048247_o.jpg

According to the specs I found on the new Tung-Sols, they are virtually identical to the original Westinghouse tubes. I am confident they will fit just fine. I did have a friend of mine test the originals and, as I suspected, they are usable but pretty weak. My friend is making a big order to Antique Electronic Supply at the first of the month so he’s going to add a quad of matched Tung-sold to it. Be interesting how this Scott sounds with fresh power tubes. 

19 minutes ago, Bonzo said:

According to the specs I found on the new Tung-Sols, they are virtually identical to the original Westinghouse tubes. I am confident they will fit just fine. I did have a friend of mine test the originals and, as I suspected, they are usable but pretty weak. My friend is making a big order to Antique Electronic Supply at the first of the month so he’s going to add a quad of matched Tung-sold to it. Be interesting how this Scott sounds with fresh power tubes. 

thats what i thought too.  so maybe my case was the problem.  llike i said above, it was sold as 299 stereomaster, which from what ive read should fit lk 72 models too.

I had a LK 72 a few years ago and really liked it. It was virtually mint with the gold color face plate and original wood case. If memory serves, it was basically the kit version of the 299. Can’t beat those big a** transformers! It had some work done to it but needed more in the power supply. At the time I was in a solid state mode, damn hobby, so I sold it to a friend of mine who is a very good tube tech and still has it. There may be a time where I will try to pry it away from him. It’s sitting on a shelf in his shop, well covered, but he hasn’t done a thing to it. I don’t think he’s even played it. That is one great amp you have there!

On 7/17/2019 at 4:23 PM, Bonzo said:

It is very rare to have a vintage tube amp/receiver with the original power tubes that actually still work.

I have had three different vintage amplifiers with the original 7591 all tested great and sounded awesome. 2 Mc225s and a scott 299d

just saying!