Pretty Cool New Turntable Design

thebes

I have been watching these for a while. To me it's a gimmick for people with money to burn, not for the typical audiophile. I do believe how ever, it would be a great conversation piece at a party! To me that's its purpose. It's not something a person would buy to just sit and listen to records. 

2800 more than the Stanton GyroPoise which was the best bang for the buck TT I ever owned. Came with a 681EEE and levitated. Granted, there was mech contact via a spindle, but it was on a needlepoint. Loved that thing! Served me for years and can't recall what I did with it, but don't recall it failing. Probably gave it away at some point or traded it.

Dave

Stanton.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/17/2019 at 1:56 PM, glens said:

A bearing of some sort (though not thrust) would be required but it would otherwise be cool to tie-together, and float, both the platter and tonearm.  This would ensure the lateral tracking "tangent" stayed at least consistent.  I'd bet the tolerance on that specification opens quite a (variably) bit with the current product.

It looks like someone already has your idea. This seems to be only sold on ebay. Weighs 28 kilograms, whatever they are, comes with an arm and only costs $2 grand.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-FFYX-2019-TB25MKIII-Maglev-Base-Maglev-Bearing-Turntable-/173751332156?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

The maglev  does not suspend the platter, but the turntable feet between the plinth and a lower base.  This would probably not help with wow and flutter but would probably considerable enhance isolation from footfalls etc. 

Come to think of it there is somebody else out there that makes a pricey isolation platform that floats. I think I've seen it on Audiogon.

As mentioned in my post, the Stanton used permanent magnets to float the turntable, using a spindle with a hardened needle point to keep it centered. Turning was achieved by a metal one inch or so protrusion about six inches in diameter that was powered by a 32 pole (as I recall) electromagnet with sequenced charges. Price was 98.00 with 681EEE.

Dave

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mallette said:

As mentioned in my post, the Stanton used permanent magnets to float the turntable, using a spindle with a hardened needle point to keep it centered. Turning was achieved by a metal one inch or so protrusion about six inches in diameter that was powered by a 32 pole (as I recall) electromagnet with sequenced charges. Price was 98.00 with 681EEE.

Dave

Do you think you can find this turntable and donate it to me? 😇

7 minutes ago, Blackbird said:

Do you think you can find this turntable and donate it to me? 😇

Probably still around on EBay and such. Since the styli are still available, worth looking for if you want quality at a low price. 

Dave

• Moderators
7 hours ago, thebes said:

Come to think of it there is somebody else out there that makes a pricey isolation platform that floats. I think I've seen it on Audiogon.

Vibraplane, they took SEM active isolation and made them for audio market.  They were $2,500, I dont thimk rhey are around anymore.

But you are in luck, the Swiss company AVI still makes them.  They isolate below the HZ level.  The best, of the best, passive isolation might get you to 10HZ.

Here is a Carl Zeiss SEM sitting on one.

ImageForArticle_3256(1).jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mallette said:

Came with a 681EEE

I used those in Technics tables for my DJ biz in the 70s.  I purchased two extra styli, but never used them.  The 681EEE was durable—tolerated back cuing—but sounded excellent also.

For everyone’s convenience, a photo of the subject TT is attached.

Rumble could be reduced by the absence of a physical connection between the platter and the motor and base.  Don’t see how, or why, it would reduce wow and flutter.  Get the tonearm to levitate also and you’re onto something.

3313F029-B0F6-42E1-B743-213D8937AEB9.png

Platter can just spin, tonearm can float in a path which maintains dead nuts overhang for the spot, ever tracing the perfect tangent from start to finish.

But then I got to thinking, why use an arm at all?  Just float a  headshell and track the record exactly as the cutter did.

• Like 2

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, glens said:

Platter can just spin, tonearm can float in a path which maintains dead nuts overhang for the spot, ever tracing the perfect tangent from start to finish.

But then I got to thinking, why use an arm at all?  Just float a  headshell and track the record exactly as the cutter did.

Floating platter with an air bearing tangential tonearm.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 10:01 PM, ODS123 said:

No, not when grove noise is what it is.   

Yeah I know what you mean. Last night the wind was howling through the grove of trees on the ridge when the thunderstorm blew in. 🤩

• Haha 2