LaScala tear down

mudhog

I bought some LaScala look alike. I don't know they may be real just redone. One woofer will not play now, I hooked it directly to the speaker wires still no noise. (my way of checking the crossover)

I'm guessing I need to replace it but not sure how to do that. No screws are visible anywhere. My guess is to remove the bottom, will that give me access to replace the woofer. picture is the back of course. Any suggestions on replacing woofer or do I need to do any more testing to make sure it is bad.

klipschC2.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, the woofer is accessed through the cover on the bottom of the speaker. I’d disconnect the woofer wires at the crossover then connect your source directly to the woofer. It should be obvious if there’s a problem with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, what Skichuck said.

If you turn them over, you'll see screws all the way around.  The speaker is say 24"x24" and the bottom cover is just about same size so on a glance, you might think  ....well....that it's the bottom!!

It might be difficult to remove, there should be a gasket in there that after 20 years, might have gotten sticky to the cover and might need to gently pry a bit.

Once it's off then  you're at it.  I think there are only four screws that hold the driver in.

Before doing that, adding to what he said above... Disconnect the wires to the woofer at the CROSSOVER, now you can take a meter and check across them for continuity in addition to plugging them in directly to your source.

Looks like a home build. Construction inside the mid horn bin is not Klipsch and the mid horn driver and crossovers are not either as far as I can tell with the grainy picture. Basic box looks good though so the right components will give you a great speaker.

No telling what your woofer will be. I have had K-43's and K-33's, generic Eminence (more than one type)  and speakers marked "Taiwan" for the brand name and model number.

They look nice.

Is that a terminal strip going to the woofer?  I'd pull that and check the woofer from what's connected at the bottom of it.  You might find something unsavory for two screws' effort and not have to open the boxes.

Most certainly no expert whatsoever, but the mid horns look legit from here.

Thanks everyone. I did hook up the woofer directly to the speaker wires and nothing, that's why I think the woofer is blown, I will check the terminal blocks that are mounted for the woofer that is not with the crossover. I did look on the bottom of the cabs and it has a 1" thick board (I assume) attached to the bottom but its covered in carpet. Before I start cutting all the carpet off to hopefully uncover screws I wanted to make sure it would give me access to the woofer. When I bought these several years ago the seller said it has EV speakers, but never confirmed. I had a true audio guy that has listen to them and he was impressed and said they sound just as good as his Klipsch set up. They get used a lot.

The stock LS Industrial  in that style would have another piece of 3/4 inch on the bottom, that would cover the access to the woofer. There are a bunch of screwws around the perimeter holding it on. They used  a gasket material, that will have dried out changed to a very sticky substance. A heavy scraper/putty knife may need to be used around the edges until yu can pry it off. You may just have a wire loose on the inside.

The midrange drivers, from your pic, look very similar to the EV 1828R drivers I currently have on my LS. The stock Klipsch K77 tweeter driver was made by EV as well.

The cabinets look like they are in nice shape.

Bruce

It is quite possible that the woofer just had a connection that has come loose. Most of the woofers in these have accordion paper surrounds, which will just about last your lifetime.