Klipschorn tweeter trouble

Hello Klipsch community!

Long time listener/first time poster:

I recently inherited a pair of Klipschorn speakers from my dad. I finally had them shipped (via PODS) and got them into my studio and hooked up. I was so excited to listen, but that quickly went away as I realized one of the speakers is lacking high end. As far as I can tell, the tweeter is not working on that speaker. Is there a way to troubleshoot this on my own, or will i need to take the speaker to a repair person. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

Seek out the terminal strips with all the wiring.  One at a time, loosen the screw, wiggle the connectors around, then tighten the screw nicely snug and move to the next, etc.  Pay attention for any loose wires hanging around hooked to nothing; there shouldn't be any.  There's a chance that process will fix the problem, though even if not, it's prudent to do it, even to the one that's working (it might work even better).

• Like 1

If loosening and re tightening the wires at the crossover does not work, undo the wires going to the tweeter and measure the resistance between the two wires going to the tweeter. You may have an open voice coil on the tweeter.

Voice coil failure is very likely.  It is the most frail of all the drivers.  That is always the case.

If you don't have an ohm meter you can remove the feed wires from the crossover board (the ones you retightended) and touch them to a 1.5 volt flashlight battery or even a 9 volt radio battery.   A good tweeter will make a little scratching noise.

For further work it is necessary to remove the tweeter including horn from the top hat.  Looking in the back you'll see a screw at each corner.  Getting them out is best done with a long screwdriver.  You might want to remove the top hat and place it face down on carpet.  Or have a helper hold the tweeter in place as you unscrew so that the tweeter doesn't fall.

If I were doing this I'd contact Bob Crites.  IIRC he will replace the diaphragm for you by mail.

WMcD

• Like 1