Leonid and friends concert

wvu80

I saw Edwin McCain last Saturday night in Mt Vernon Ohio, about 40 miles northeast of Columbus. He was at the oldest operating theater in the country, Woodward Opera House, built in 1831. It was an awesome show, he gets better with age. 

• Like 2

It was clear after about 10 seconds @Pete H were from the same speaker world.  It was fun to meet a fellow forum member and talk Klipsch.  I'm very sure we bored his wife and Pete's friends to tears with our speaker talk.  :lol:

The Show:  Again Pete and I were in near total agreement with what we heard.  It's a shame I can't just listen to the music and enjoy the show but I'm so analytical I think I spent the entire time critiquing the speakers, the in-house mixing and squirming in an uncomfortable chair.  The seats Pete picked up a month ago were great, dead center and 20 rows back.  Perfect.

If you checked out the Youtube vid I posted ^^^, these guys sound like Chicago and the post-production and mixing was great. 

The mix was not so great live in the theater.  The talent on-stage was good.  Unfortunately the mixing was terrible, at least where we sat. 

The kick drum and bass guitar was waaay too loud making for an unbalanced sound which was too loud most of the time.  The vocalists had to yell to be heard above the loud muddy bass.  The bass guitar (Leonoid) was so muddy you could not tell one note from the other.  The drummer was very talented but he pounded on every song at the same level.  That's partly on him, partly on the mixing crew.  A ballad should not be the same loudness as the rock tunes.

Still it was a good show and they did several of the Chicago tunes very faithful to the originals.  If these guys could clean up the technical issues with mixing I would have rated the show a 9 instead of a 7.

Overall it was lots of fun.  I'm glad I went.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 11:59 AM, Ceptorman said:

I saw Edwin McCain last Saturday night in Mt Vernon Ohio, about 40 miles northeast of Columbus. He was at the oldest operating theater in the country, Woodward Opera House, built in 1831. It was an awesome show, he gets better with age. 

Last time I went to his concert was probably 15 years ago in Beaufort S.C. outside down on the waterfront and it was fabulous.

On 7/19/2019 at 3:15 PM, wvu80 said:

the show a 9 instead of a 7.

Overall it was lots of fun.  I'm glad I went.

I completely agree and it is the reason I don't go to a lot of live shows.  Hard to believe that musicians and vocalists with such talent, can sometimes have terrible rigs or sound engineers.  I love the group and appreciate their individual and collective talent, but I just wanted 10 minutes on the board and that could have sounded twice as good with very little work on the mix.  Having heard Brian Setzer there on the same house system, sitting in what should have been terrible seats far left of center, it wasn't the system.  I know how pissed off the "sound guy" can get, having told more than one how bad their mix was, but I was extremely disappointed, and have to believe that none of the group took the time to go out in the room and listen during their sound check.  

I'm going to reach out through their website and at least let them know that their show didn't live up to my expectations, given everything that I had heard prior to the concert.  It was still great to see them, meet and spend some time with a new forum friend and appreciate that the players are not just great watching them on youtube, because if you concentrated and focused on a given performer and concentrated specifically on that one person, you could still hear that they were playing and or singing with precision, despite a few hiccups from the trumpet player (on extremely difficult pieces) they were great.  

I would still recommend catching one of their shows and anyone that has, please chime in with what the sound was like in your experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1