RF-7ii and RF-7iii timbre matching - LCR

BMac1203

Quick question - 

I currently have a pair of RF-7ii's and a RC-64ii as my LCR. We're moving to a new home with a space where I can put them behind the screen and would like to replace the RC-64ii with an RF-7 as center.

Having trouble finding a single RF-7ii for sale (that isn't listed at original MSRP and/or sketchy online store), so it looks like my only option is RF-7iii for the center.

I don't have the ears of an audio reviewer, but I wanted to confirm that the RF-7iii as center wouldn't create a super obvious glaring issue with the RF-7ii's as LR.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, babadono said:

I don't know but @Youthman what do you think?

Well I may not completely speak for him but in the RF-7 shootout, the II and III definitely sounded more alike than they did different.  I don't think you will notice a huge timbre change when panning from L to C to R.

Bill

• Moderators

It should work fine. The RF7 III will have a smoother top end and less bright so it’s not a perfect match sonically. Not sure how obvious panning sound would be across the mismatched LCR. I would think it would be fine.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BMac1203 said:

Due to room layout I wouldn't have use for those and not sure I want to take on the risk of not being able to sell them.

That RF-7 II and RC-64 II are highly valued on the used market.  I don't know what they're worth but if you can sell them at Fair Market Value I don't think you'll have a hard time moving them.

Since you already own them they are worth the most to you.  My suggestion would be to keep what you have and turn that RC-64 vertically behind the screen.  That's a fantastic center.

Edit:  I re-read your thread title and you are concerned about "timbre matching."  I think timbre matching is way overrated.  Especially with a multi-channel setup the source signal is discrete to each speaker.  L/R needs to be matched but there is never a time when the center plays the same content as the L/R.  I can't think of any instance where the exact same panning goes across all three front speakers.

The secret to good sound is to get a high quality center since it handles 90% of the dialog.  You're already there.

• Like 1

Thanks, @wvu80 - I agree that the RC-64ii is an excellent center. From what I understand, however, the RF-7 can be an even better center :)

If it's true that the RF-7 makes a better center than a RC-64, I want to go for it because I have my wife's approval to replace it. I can't count on having that approval again in the future, once we've moved in and have all sorts of other things to spend money on.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BMac1203 said:

If it's true that the RF-7 makes a better center than a RC-64, I want to go for it because I have my wife's approval to replace it.

I see what you're saying.  That makes sense.

You should have no trouble moving that RC-64 II and it's worth some money.  That can help defray the cost of the single RF-7 II. 

I think it will be hard to find a single RF-7.  You might look for a pair then sell one.

Edit:  I just a quick and dirty check for RF-7 II in your area.  There is nothing, not single, not pair.

+++

Crazy Idea:  Why not check with Cory @MetropolisLakeOutfitters and see what he has in an open box RF-7 III?  His open box prices are crazy low, he might surprise you.  Then use one OR BOTH of your current RF-7 II's as a center.  Sell the RC-64.

• Like 1

In my basement system, my front, center, and left speakers are Klipsch RF-7II.  A single rear speaker is a Klipsch RF-7.   (Subwoofers:  SVS SB16-Ultra, Klipsch R-115SW. )

You might consider getting a pair of RF-7III for L&R, and using your existing RF-7II for center, and a single rear.  Or, get three RF-7III for LCR, and use your RF-7II for 2 rear.

[mention=62203]robert_kc[/mention] Seems like the real solution is for you to sell me your spare RF-7ii that you’re using as a rear [emoji4]

Currently running 7.2.4 already with:

L/R: RF-7 ii

Ctr: RC-64 ii

Surr L/R: RS-62 ii

Rear L/R: RS-41 ii

Heights(4): Micca M8-C

Subs: HSU VTF-3 Mk5