B@O Beolab 90

mr clean

Being these are not Klipsch and not horns I thought I would post this here. I was never a big fan of Bang and Olufsen products because of their modern look they have. I did have one of their turntable and it worked well for me. I just wanted to know if anyone of you have saw these speakers? 18 drivers and 8200 watts built in. They have some cool vids on youtube but I didn't want to break any rules by putting one on here. I could never afford a pair and not sure I would want to but they are suppose to be able to put the sweet spot were ever you are setting and have a omni mode to put out sound everywhere for parties and such. Just thought some may be interested .

image.png.0b5b971645603d4b1cc88e335f82f6b8.png   

The reports are that the polar coverages of these loudspeakers are adjustable.  This would be a pretty big deal if you use your loudspeakers significantly away from the listening room walls--and well out on the floor of the room...which is not a very good approach from a engineering design perspective--but rather just expedient if "small tall loudspeakers" takes ultimate precedence over sound quality.

However, if you heard Klipsch Jubilees (which cost ~1/10th as much: about $85K to $8.5K--which is clearly a ridiculous difference), and 1/8th as much if you used the most expensive compression drivers available--TAD TD-4001s on the Jubilees), I think that you'd probably agree that the Jubilees--properly set up--would easily take the Beolab 90s for the type of sound quality that most users here value, i.e., clarity, realism, huge sound stage, dynamic performance, and unchanging performance at high SPL, etc. 

However, there apparently are a lot of audiophiles that "want it the way that they want it" that would probably pick the Beolab 90s--I'm just clearly not one of those.  (These are the type of people that do not typically value accurate sound reproduction, but rather some artificial notion of sound quality.)

One thing that you might note: adjustable Beolab 90 polar performance is fairly easy to duplicate using a stereo pair of form/fit/function copies of the Beolab 90 configuration, and using a good set of DSP crossovers.  It still would be less than ~1/10th the price to do it that way...DIY.  (I'm not sure of the patent status of the Beolab 90s--whether that configuration has been patented by B&O, however.)

Chris

2 hours ago, Chris A said:

The reports are that the polar coverage of these loudspeakers are adjustable.  This would be a pretty big deal if you use your loudspeakers significantly away from the listening room walls--and well out on the floor of the room...which is not a very good approach from a engineering design perspective--but rather just expedient if "small tall loudspeakers" takes ultimate precedence over sound quality.

However, if you heard Klipsch Jubilees (which cost ~1/10th as much: about $85K to $8.5K--which is clearly a ridiculous difference), and 1/8th as much if you used the most expensive compression drivers available--TAD TD-4001s on the Jubilees), I think that you'd probably agree that the Jubilees--properly set up--would easily take the Beolab 90s for the type of sound quality that most users here value, i.e., clarity, realism, huge sound stage, dynamic performance, and unchanging performance at high SPL, etc. 

However, there apparently are a lot of audiophiles that "want it the way that they want it" that would probably pick the Beolab 90s--I'm just clearly not one of those.  (These are the type of people that do not typically value accurate sound reproduction, but rather some artificial notion of sound quality.)

One thing that you might note: adjustable Beolab 90 polar performance is fairly easy to duplicate using a stereo pair of form/fit/function copies of the Beolab 90 configuration, and using a good set of DSP crossovers.  It still would be less than ~1/10th the price to do it that way...DIY.  (I'm not sure of the patent status of the Beolab 90s--whether that configuration has been patented by B&O, however.)

Chris

Im sure I would enjoy hearing both speakers and alot of others. Im not saying anything positive about them because I never heard them except on youtube and that don't mean much. I just thought they were little different and I hate to say I kind of like the looks. I won't be running out and buying any unless I can live inside of one. Check out the vid with the Ferrari on youtube.