Let's imagine......

Ziggurat

......that I owned a pair of Cornwall III's, plus a pair of K55V's, plus a pair of Altec 511b horns and relevant flange adapters, plus a heap of woodworking gear and a dash of "modification inclination"....

Could I simply sit the K55's atop the Cornies, disconnect the factory squawker setup, connect the K55/Altec combo and expect Cornscala performance?

Or do I need to add Crites to the mix?

Or should I just STFU and try it and report back? 

How say you, Savages?

7 hours ago, Ziggurat said:

......that I owned a pair of Cornwall III's, plus a pair of K55V's, plus a pair of Altec 511b horns and relevant flange adapters, plus a heap of woodworking gear and a dash of "modification inclination"....

Could I simply sit the K55's atop the Cornies, disconnect the factory squawker setup, connect the K55/Altec combo and expect Cornscala performance?

Or do I need to add Crites to the mix?

Or should I just STFU and try it and report back? 

How say you, Savages?

A K-55-V requires a tweeter.  But a good Altec 802 or 902 on that 511B does not, especially the newer 902s.  You will need to design and test a crossover.   The horn should have Dybamat added to limit its ringing. 

It would be a shame to do that to a a $4500 pair of speakers when you can design/build woofer boxes around a nice woofer for less than $1000.

A 902/511b is capable of very high quality sound.

Or, you could look for FH-1s or La Scala bass horns.

20180516_151936_1.jpg

So why are you even asking this with a pair of tasty 402's in hand? Are you looking to build out parts you have sitting around? If I owned Cornwall III's AND owned K-402's I would be selling the Cornwalls to fit something good under the big bad horns. Cornwall tweets and mids are quite anemic compared to 402's. If you needed to save space for another listening area my choice would be to sell the Cornwall III's and find a good set of Chorus speakers to upgrade and use the money left over for something else. If you are