Speaker wire upgrade helped me.

kaila

K27-R, I'm not doubting that you and your roommate believed that you heard a difference between the 2 cables, but unless the Pros came with utterly crap cables, say 1 tiny strand of aluminium, I highly doubt that any differences exist.

If your roommate didn't know you changed the cables over, do you think he'll notice? If Klipsch could have noticably improved the sound of the Pros by spending an extra $1 per set don't you think they would have done so? I doubt that Klipsch is that stupid.

Hofy, no offense but don't regurgitate marketing material. I bet you that the people who wrote that crap had no idea what it actaully means. Unless you have a sound knowledge of Maxwell, Gauss and especially transmission line theories, you cannot even hope to explain the variables involved when determining cable quality.

What the hell is "interplay"? I've never even seen it in any textbook relating to EM.

Uh.. electron migration? Yeah, whatever! I believe this is an issue in high speed VLSI designs but definately not in audio cables.

As for RF noise, you find me a bunch of speaker cables which are insulated against RF... you won't (unless you spend WAY TOO MUCH money). The power passed through the cable is so high compared to RF noise that its effect is none existant.

And acoustic influences. Its a piece of copper conducting electrons. I'd love to hear an explanation about how audio can effect flowing electrons. Pseudo-physics is always fun to listen to.

Again I urge you to take a look at basic electronics/physics textbooks and find out the characteristics of copper and the effects of resistance, capacitance and inductance (you'll require some basic knowledge of complex mathematics too). What you'll find is that the inductance and capacitances of your copper cable is so low that at audio frequencies it will not be affected.

Hofy, I bet that if you took a blind test where someone swapped your cable setup with the original Pro cables, you wouldn't be able to hear any differences.

Oh yeah, again I emphasize. YOU'RE LISTENING TO CHEAP COMPUTER SPEAKERS WITH CHEAP IC AMPLIFICATION. Unless I see names like Dynaudio Evidence , B&W Nautilus 800, Electrocompaniet or Levinson, don't even think of spending lots of money on cables.

I've been fooled by cable companies myself and am only trying to warn others. I've tried thick OFC cables for my MicroWorks, silver/OFC for the 6K setup, some $40 75ohm digital/video cable and even an estoric "Silver-plated high-purity Oxygen-Free-Copper Balanced cable" utilizing Telfon di-electrics etc from the Rotel CD-player to the amp.

Every single one... no difference. Luckily I was able to return most of them. Apparently the dealer is used to people returning cables, coming back unsatisfied.

Easy on the submit button.

If you want to beat the slow response.. after you hit submit.. wait a second or two and then hit the Back button to go back to the thread Klipsch site gets the response right away.. but for some reason, it takes a while for the page to change.

I think it is time to close this thread.. some people don't know how to keep a cool.

*shrug* i don't even own promedia's anymore. i got some acoustic energy speakers hooked up to my computer biggrin.gif

and those definately didn't come with cheap wires. they came with some 16 gauge wire with gold plated connectors. i needed some new interconnects because i bought a new sound card (audiophile 2496) and i was just going to buy some cheap radio shack gold interconnects, but i found some $100 ixos cables for $30 shipped, so i just bought that since it looked cool smile.gif i doubt i'd see a difference with those over the gold radio shack cable, tho.

• Like 1

To say there is no difference between cable a and cable b all it does is carry the signal, is about the same as saying that there is no difference between a Yugo and a Cadillac they both get you to your destination.

I have done several blind tests with all sorts of audio equipment and have heard differences. However not enough of a difference to warrent spending ungodly amounts of money. This is where the price/preformance break comes into play. Spend enough to get the difference but dont go overboard trying to get that last 1%.

c>

------------------

Hofy's Duct Tape Mounting System Support

hofmonstr@rocketmail.com

c>

I am NOT

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

888-554-5665c>

Sorry about the multiple posts. New ISP and its suxs bad. Obviously cheap unlimited accounts=shitty access.

Klipsch moderators you might want to consider using flood control. I've seen some BBs which only allows you to post a message 1 minute after you posted your last. This will stop idiots like me posting the same message several times.

Back to this thread, Outpatient I'd like to find out where you heard that better cables will noticeably improve sound quality.

Like I said, I too originally believed that cables would improve sound (hence the esoteric cables I purchased) but my electrical engineering background and all the data I could gather on cables proved otherwise.

Not only that, all controlled blind tests I've seen proves this to be true. I've never seen any proof that "brand-name" cables could change the sound of speakers. Thats why I've always used cheap 16-18 gauge OFC from the local eletronics shop for my speakers.

Look at the previous link's Stereo review clip:

"...Only that 16-gauge lamp cord and Monster cable are indistinguishable from each other with music and seem to be superior to the 24 gauge wire commonly sold or given away as 'speaker cable." ... and the costs of the 16-gauge cable....30c/foot

Gold plated connectors I have no problem with. Gold doesn't rust and is very inert compared to copper and thus ensures a good connection. But you don't have to spend lots of money for interconnects with gold-plated connectors. I use a $4 OFC interconnect with gold plated connectors.

Oh yeah... a while ago Stereophile said that Radio Shack cables are good enough and that spending more is really a waste of money. With interconnects look for a good termination where the wires soldered to connector and the RCA jacks fit snug and not loose.

Hofy, explain your testing procedures and what differences you heard. This I gotta hear!

Oh yeah, again from the above link...

"Then we get into the more subjective evaluation. Suppose you're already using adequate size wire and have good connection at the speaker and amplifier. If you're then told the new wire will make an improvement, you will be looking for it and truly believe that you hear an improvement. Some people might go as far as saying "If I spent all that money for these cables, you can be sure I'm going to hear a difference." (rather than admit I wasted my money or have bad hearing)." smile.gif

Sorry for bringing this page up fella... didnt know that arguements would arise upon it... just wanted everyone to be educated thatz all....

to educate yourself about the effects of changing speaker wire... please click on the below link...

http://www.sundial.net/~rogerr/wire.htm

if you want to argue... go hire a lawyer... =)

next topic.... how many people think buying a higher octane gas will give better performance? Is 92 better than 87?

quote:

Originally posted by totalkaos:

next topic.... how many people think buying a higher octane gas will give better performance? Is 92 better than 87?

only if your car was programmed for 92 octane, then it would be better. but if your car only needed 87 octane, the car would actually run better on 87 rather than anything higher.

• Like 1

Oooooeee sounds like a certain Outpatient should look into getting his lithium dosage upped by a few milligrams on his next visit to the clinic or at least investigate the possible benifits of some anger management counselling. Just a thought.

wink.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gifmad.gif

this has been sad. yall griping about crap that really doesn't matter. do the klipsch sound that bad that it makes you need to refir the entire wiring scheme? I doubt it. for the hell of it I redid it all with gold plating. noticable difference 0. I made $50 for selling the set with gold plating to a friend, idiot, and bought my 4.2 system that sounds the same as the system I sold with gold plating. its just not worth it to get no difference.

Torinalth

------------------

if at first you don't succede, try again. if at second you don't succede, get an axe

In my case, the point you all are overlooking is that I didn't just replace the speaker wire for the heck of it. In fact if the speaker wire functioned as it supposed to then I never would have even thought of replacing it. But the fact was (at least in my case) the speaker wire was defective. It had shorts and produced a crappy connection. I had to bend & twist the wire "just right" to get a clear signal...then if anyone touched it I'd get static, signal loss even to the point of cutting completely out.

Maybe that's ok with some of you, but for me that completely unacceptable performance from a piece of wire. (Yes the jacks weren't the best either, but they weren't the main problem).

The only reason I used Monster Cable when I did the wire swap was becuase I had about 20 feet or so of the stuff just collecting dust, left over from a project a year or two ago. Otherwise I would have used something like a lamp cord. Yes a lamp cord is just as good as Monster Cable, I'm not arguing that at all. In fact the only drawback to using electrical cord in place of speaker wire is keeping the left/right identified.

So since I had defective speaker wire out of the Klipsch box almost any decent wire was going to be an improvement in sound.

Plus, the other weak spot in Klipsch satillites speakers is the damn jack. In my mod I completely did away with the jacks and ran the speaker wire into the rear of the speaker box (where the jack use to be) and then soldered the speaker wire directly to the positive & negative post on the crossover.

So you guys talk and say whatever ya want, all I know is that now my Promedia's sound awesome and I don't have to worry about the wires vibrating a millimeter here or there and shorting out, like they would do before my modification.