Your Sunday Afternoon Bach Organ Fix via YouTube

Chris A

Prelude and fugue in D minor, BWV 539

And a discussion (in Dutch with English subtitles) of this prelude and fugue by the organist:

Chris

Fugue in C minor, BWV 575

"A capricious, crazy piece" by Bach.

...and a discussion by the organist of this piece (in Dutch with English subtitles).  Note that this commentary is a bit louder than the foregoing video...

Chris

Note that we're embarking upon some lesser-known Bach preludes and fugues, so the choices of YouTube videos for these Bach compositions are getting a bit less voluminous to choose from.  The last two selections are from the Netherlands J.S. Bach Society that is specifically aiming toward videoing all Bach compositions.  So we're probably going to see more Dutch videos and commentaries in the future--at least until we shift gears into non-prelude & fugue compositions by Bach. 

Bach wrote many hours of keyboard and organ compositions, not to mention those transcribed from his compositions for other instruments to organ, as we saw last week with BWV 539 which was originally for violin. 

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Well I missed last week's Bach prelude & fugue fix, so this week, we'll see two to make up for last week:

Prelude & Fugue in E Minor, BWV 533 ("Cathedral")

Prelude & Fugue in C, BWV 531 ("Luneburg")

Enjoy!

Chris

Fantasia in C Major, BWV 570

The above is a short piece, such that today we have another Bach fantasia and partial fugue, this time in C minor...

Fantasia and Unfinished Fugue in C minor, BWV 562

Chris

On 12/15/2019 at 11:51 AM, Chris A said:

'Gigue' Fugue  in G Major, BWV 577

This recording gets a bit strident towards the end, probably due to the "mutation stops" (otherwise referred to as fractional stops) way up on top of the principal stops used on the manual.  These stops are very difficult to record without that stridency, and depend on low phase distortion in the microphone and digital recorder front end.  (It probably doesn't help that YouTube converts lossless recordings to lossy AAC, but that's the deal...).

The "gigue" or "jig" fugue by Bach...Enjoy!

Chris

Virgil Fox used to have a blast with this one all the time!

16 hours ago, Charles T said:

Virgil Fox used to have a blast with this one all the time!

When Mr. Fox came to town to stay for AGO recitals (TCU's Ed Landreth Hall in Fort Worth), he typically stayed at Emmet Smith's residence--who was also my mother's organ professor at TCU and friend of the family.  Mr. Fox apparently loved Sue's (Emmet's wife's) cooking.  He reportedly used to call her "Sue-baby".  Sue Smith was an extremely good cook; I loved eating there, too.

Chris

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I found the mother lode of Bach last night. Recorded from organs built from 1755 back to 1675 and the few I have played sounded really good. From the pictures it looks like these organs are not in those giant Churches so the perceived  muddiness and echoing I hear often was absent. It will take days to listen to it all and you download the hi-res version it is a 9.6gb zip file.      Really a joy to play these on a big honking single fold horn.     

http://www.blockmrecords.org/bach/index.htm

From those that I've heard, these are very good recordings and appear to be pristine, i.e., not affected by mastering EQ, which is a big thing for Bach organ recordings. 

Virtually all record labels that produce stereo organ recordings attenuate the bass below 100 Hz very heavily, so demastering of those tracks is a necessity rather than an option. I remember one Bach organ recording that required 25 dB of overall boost from 250 down to 20 Hz.

Thanks for the link. I've downloaded the lossless AIFF library (about 9.8 GB in total).  I'll be listening to those 274 compositions for a while.

Chris