Your Sunday Afternoon Bach Organ Fix via YouTube

Chris A

It varies in my experience.  Tracker organs can be fairly noisy--just as noisy as you hear in the recordings.  I assume that the flue action of each organ could be quietened using modern methods, but then you've got to justify it to those wanting "authenticity".  (I think the world would be a lot better if those craving authenticity in music wouldn't worry about it nearly so much.)

While we're on that subject, there is something called a "Forte-piano" ("loud-soft" in Italian).  These are the pianos that existed before the mid-1800s (before the concert grands that we hear today, etc.).  They sound like cheap spinet pianos by comparison.  I've got a few CDs of Ronald Brautigam playing Beethoven piano sonatas on one.  I don't play the recordings very often--but these recordings are conveying how the piano sounded in Beethoven's time.  The traditionalists I'm sure are applauding those recordings.  They sound like the pianos that we had in practice rooms in the music buildings of high schools--most of which where badly out of tune. 

I can see why the modern concert grand pianos really changed the music repertoire in the mid-19th century.  Liszt, et al. really had an advantage over earlier composers and performers in the sound of their instruments when they were performing...BIG difference in sound. 

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...