Klipschorn Build

Pats3of4

Just want some opinions.  I have the drivers and network for a pair of Klipschorns.  Im going to build the cabinet.  I would like to have these be exceptional.  Is it worth using actual hardwood for the cabs rather than plywood with veneer?

i have some 200 year old oak barnboard that is the full width and 1” thick.  Thinking of plaining them to get past the gray.

i could get laminated ply.

For a top notch build, what would you use?

IMHO.  If you are absolutely, madly, insanely in love with the oak you could use it for the exposed areas where Klipsch uses veneered ply  Actually not that much area all things considered.  Won't you need joining?

There is no reason to think it is going to sound better BTW.

Otherwise the interior pieces really should be ply for the sake of your sanity.  It is already fabulously difficult to saw.   I'll admit to not knowing how a solid plank will take to the cutting.  You should take a look at whatever plans you have and note the widths. 

No one will ever see these interior pieces.

That is what I think.

• Like 1

Of course, there is a long standing issue about stability with boards vs plywood (or MDF). This question is probably better posted over at DIYaudio.

BTW, why did you choose the Klipschorn as opposed to the Jubilee (yes, I am biased - but I have owned both).

Im not worried about cutting or the assembly.  I just want something distinct.  Some people put exotic veneers over the ply, why not use actual quality wood.  I may build the cabs out of ply- or the bass bins and face them with solid, one piece.

We have some barn board that is 40” wide.  You cant find slabs like that often with spending a fortune

Pats3of4,

Except for the front panel which is 3/4" veneered lumber core plywood, my Klipschorn bass bins are constructed of 1/2" plywood. All the top housing is 3/4" veneered lumber core plywood.

You wrote: Im not worried about cutting or the assembly.

You'll probably wear out a planer shaving 1" plank oak to 1/2" thickness. Then if you can accurately cut the dozens of pieces (CNC router might work) , how do you know your construction plans are accurate? There are at least a half dozen "Klipschorn" plans on the internet and all differ either in the angles of some of the cuts or in the dimensions of the pieces. 

Here's some Klipschorn advertising copy from the October, 1965 Audio magazine (pg. 77) which describes the construction of the bass horn: The construction of this horn is beyond compare. Nearly 288 screws, plus other fastening devices, plus high -grade adhesives, are used to make the horn as rigid as possible. Also each bass horn is checked with a water manometer to ensure absolute air tightness of the rear air chamber. 

Guess you'll wear out a countersink bit or two. 😊

Please post images of your build. progress.

Lee

Plain Jane plywood will work just fine. Don't have to reinvent the wheel. I was going to build a set of Klipschorn clones as I'd have all the parts from my Belle clones...except the K-400. But decided if I ever got the wild hair to build something else Klipsch inspired, I'll just build Jubilee bass bins. Or maybe not.

... o O ( one inch oak can still warp up )

I had some stair treads do that, while they were laying haphazardously around my garage....

the alternative for large panel's, are live edge slab's, kiln dried, and shaved in a planer...

although oak is tough, I don't think you'll enjoy the finish pattern's, for the time and detail forthcoming...

That's about all I have - this should be an interesting project, take your time.... I'll leave with the only picture of my next project... I'm still trying to figure it out lol

abstractspeaker32.jpg

windashine, you wrote: That's about all I have - this should be an interesting project, take your time.... I'll leave with the only picture of my next project... I'm still trying to figure it out lol

That image of course is of the Libido Loudspeaker Company's Peyronie in distressed Hard Rock Maple. Libido aficionado's just call it The Woody. 

Lee

I seem to recall that one of our moderators long ago said the Speakerlab plans were good. 

Also someplace on the forum the Klipsch plans were published but were missing a page.  Then  I found the missing page with a Google Image search.  (Actually  I searched for the preceding page figuring the missing one would be nearby.)   What I found was the complete set by PWK as posted someplace by Bruce Edgar. 

If anyone wants to use lumber for the interior all I can say is: Youuullll beeee soooorrryyyy.  Smile.  Dimensional stability is important for an air seal.  That is another reason to build a Jubilee -- the chamber is super simple and with a hatch on each end easy to seal.

It seems to me the only non plywood version was the Plexiglas one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, windashine said:

... o O ( one inch oak can still warp up )

I had some stair treads do that, while they were laying haphazardously around my garage....

Yeah, and it can still warp down, too.  But, 200 year old oak boards aren't likely to want to change much more, so long as too much material isn't removed cleaning them up.

Though ultimately I agree with you.  Except I'd likely go with high-quality plywood and veneer what I had to.

• Like 1

Trust me, I've built a pair of k-horns and jubilees. The k-horns are more difficult. Many compound mitre cuts that have to be right on the money to achieve an air tight interior. I modeled the pair I built from a 1976 pair and the speakerlab plans. only a few differences between the two as far as the bass bin goes. 1976 model used 1/2 and 3/4 plywood. If I remember correctly, you will only be able to get about 450hz out of the bas bin(someone chime in here).

Big D

front a.jpg