Klipschorn Build

Pats3of4

2 hours ago, Enzyme said:

Woow, this looks great! May I ask how you did the cut-outs? I'm currently planning on building a set myself. Have redrawn the entire k-horn plans in CAD to EU plywood standards (12mm and 16mm). I'm now contemplating on either letting a CNC router do all the work (I have all the individual pieces drawn out into CAD  already, so should be easy to convert to a milling job) or let a professional sawing service do the job (I know they will deliver, but it's much more expensive). Any thoughts?

OP, if you need help understanding the plans; send me a PM. I also have some plans/builds saved myself.

That would be great.  Anything you could send.  I didnt find anything I could come up with a cut sheet.  I can cut it and build it if I see the pieces/measurements 

3 hours ago, Enzyme said:

I'm currently planning on building a set myself. Have redrawn the entire k-horn plans in CAD to EU plywood standards (12mm and 16mm).

Erik Forker, in Germany, did this quite some time ago. You can download his and check for discrepancies.

http://wp.volvotreter.de/projects/khorn/

On 7/21/2019 at 9:17 PM, windashine said:

... o O ( one inch oak can still warp up )

I had some stair treads do that, while they were laying haphazardously around my garage....

the alternative for large panel's, are live edge slab's, kiln dried, and shaved in a planer...

although oak is tough, I don't think you'll enjoy the finish pattern's, for the time and detail forthcoming...

That's about all I have - this should be an interesting project, take your time.... I'll leave with the only picture of my next project... I'm still trying to figure it out lol

abstractspeaker32.jpg

That is the only picture of that Klipschorn. It was from Sante Fe.

On 7/22/2019 at 6:52 AM, Bigdnfay1 said:

Trust me, I've built a pair of k-horns and jubilees. The k-horns are more difficult. Many compound mitre cuts that have to be right on the money to achieve an air tight interior. I modeled the pair I built from a 1976 pair and the speakerlab plans. only a few differences between the two as far as the bass bin goes. 1976 model used 1/2 and 3/4 plywood. If I remember correctly, you will only be able to get about 450hz out of the bas bin(someone chime in here).

Big D

front a.jpg

Love those! 

I've recently taken my fathers handmade one out of his storage for refurbishing. I have his original blueprints and a million questions.

Capture.JPG

Edited by aletzring

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 4:23 AM, Enzyme said:

Woow, this looks great! May I ask how you did the cut-outs? I'm currently planning on building a set myself. Have redrawn the entire k-horn plans in CAD to EU plywood standards (12mm and 16mm). I'm now contemplating on either letting a CNC router do all the work (I have all the individual pieces drawn out into CAD  already, so should be easy to convert to a milling job) or let a professional sawing service do the job (I know they will deliver, but it's much more expensive). Any thoughts?

OP, if you need help understanding the plans; send me a PM. I also have some plans/builds saved myself.

CNC.  Got the Crites tweeter cut-out dimensions from Crites.  The face of the horn and tweeter baffle was veneered since it will be covered.

Edited by Drugolf