Klipschorn Build

Pats3of4

There are two horns that can be used with the Jubilee. The big one is the K-402 (about 39in wide and 26 in tall). There is the little brother; K-510 (about 15 in wide and 9 in tall). The K-510 does not control the dispersion as well (across the likely bandwidth) in the vertical plane, but it still sounds pretty good (but not as good as the K-402). I mention the K-510 since it is smaller and offers some advantages when trying to physically integrate it into a reasonably sized cabinet. 

Good Luck,

-Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrestonTom said:

There are two horns that can be used with the Jubilee. The big one is the K-402 (about 39in wide and 26 in tall). There is the little brother; K-510 (about 15 in wide and 9 in tall). The K-510 does not control the dispersion as well (across the likely bandwidth) in the vertical plane, but it still sounds pretty good (but not as good as the K-402). I mention the K-510 since it is smaller and offers some advantages when trying to physically integrate it into a reasonably sized cabinet. 

Good Luck,

-Tom

While I agree with your limited choice the TWO current Horns from KLIPSCH, I must point out that other horns have been used by Jube owners. Namely, the Martinelli Horns (by one Klipsch dealer), various home made Tractrix horns (Bruce Edgars derivatives), PWK's own K503, etc. After having owned 3 pairs of 402's they are still the best choice of the bunch.

Well Claude, there are many choices for horns. My recommendations were limited to the "modified tractrix" horns (as developed by Roy Delgado) since they are constant dispersion horns (off-axis response is comparable to on-axis response). Both Roy Delgado and Floyd Toole have emphasized the importance of constant dispersion horns. I believe them. 

Some of the horns you mentioned are not constant dispersion horns. As such I would shy away from them. If you went for a non-Klipsch offering, I would suggest  either a Electrovoice HP 640 (this specific model only) or some of the newer JBL horns (various models). To be complete, not all CD horns are equal (some do not measure well or sound very good). Roy's offerings do both. 

38 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

Well Claude, there are many choices for horns. My recommendations were limited to the "modified tractrix" horns (as developed by Roy Delgado) since they are constant dispersion horns (off-axis response is comparable to on-axis response). Both Roy Delgado and Floyd Toole have emphasized the importance of constant dispersion horns. I believe them. 

Some of the horns you mentioned are not constant dispersion horns. As such I would shy away from them. If you went for a non-Klipsch offering, I would suggest  either a Electrovoice HP 640 (this specific model only) or some of the newer JBL horns (various models). To be complete, not all CD horns are equal (some do not measure well or sound very good). Roy's offerings do both. 

I agree with your recommendations. Fewer compromises.

I mean Im getting scared off from the k-horn.  The plans I can find, cant understand them that well.

I may just go with Cornwalls.  Get the Crites Horn and networks.

i wanted to build something that looked like a really nice piece of furniture.  

I have plenty of woodworking tools, but Im not a fine carpenter.

Now, Im really not sure.

I bought the parts from 1969 K-Horns.

2) K-77 tweeters; Ser. #s 6941 & 6942

• (2) K-55-V mid-drivers/horn assemblies with original gold-brown grill cloth; Ser. #s 8391 & 8392
• (1) Klipsch 15” K-33P woofer, Ser.# 5811509137 6917
• (2) Type A Klipsch crossovers

Bought them on Audiomart but I believe Frank is a member here.

Im not set on the oak.  I just thought it might be cool to use it on the face as its hard to get wide, one piece slabs anymore that wide.  Some is spruce and maybe maple. The house and barn date back before the 1790’s.  Its extra wood thats been stored for who knows how long.

In this area, (Maine)  the 4’ wide barnboards sell for big money.  Its not all oak.  Its my father in laws house and he passed away last summer so there is sentimentality as well.

Now, I need help figuring out what to build

1 hour ago, Pats3of4 said:

Im not set on the oak.  I just thought it might be cool to use it on the face as its hard to get wide, one piece slabs anymore that wide.  Some is spruce and maybe maple. The house and barn date back before the 1790’s.  Its extra wood thats been stored for who knows how long.

Perhaps you could have it converted to veneer, and use it on your Klipschorns or Jubilees. Search for "wood veneer cutting service". For example, these guys are in Ohio:

https://mbveneer.com/product/veneer/

Or you could sell your boards and use the proceeds to buy a pair of Klipschorns or Jubilees. These guys are in Maine:

https://www.rarewoodsusa.com/

http://www.maineheritagetimber.com/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Edgar said:

Those are really cool.  Never knew they existed.

1 hour ago, Edgar said:

Perhaps you could have it converted to veneer, and use it on your Klipschorns or Jubilees. Search for "wood veneer cutting service". For example, these guys are in Ohio:

https://mbveneer.com/product/veneer/

Or you could sell your boards and use the proceeds to buy a pair of Klipschorns or Jubilees. These guys are in Maine:

https://www.rarewoodsusa.com/

http://www.maineheritagetimber.com/

I believe Roy Delgado is one of the best designers around today, but there are other folded horn designs out there, simpler builds... if you don't mind straying from the fold.

Bruce

1 hour ago, Pats3of4 said:

In this area, (Maine)  the 4’ wide barnboards sell for big money.  Its not all oak.  Its my father in laws house and he passed away last summer so there is sentimentality as well.

Now, I need help figuring out what to build

Pics please.  I bet they go for big money.  Hard to find anything that wide. 

What to make, a bedroom set, table, really cool stereo rack, speakers.  Whatever it is, make sure you want to keep it for many years.  I have a few things that I made that I will never part with.

I have a pdf of one of the speakerlab skhorns plans (you can still get the plans from them).

Have a look at:

soniphase.com

Easier to build than khorn. I can't make a judgement about how good they are.

• Thanks 1

Bruce, thanks for sharing that site.  I for the life of my couldn't remember the website.  I have built a Jamboree and a half size version.  I have plans one day to make a couple of jigs to speed up and perfect the build a little bit.  If you can find some bootleg reverse engineered plans of the Jubilee, i would give them a try.  If not, take swing at the Jamboree, if I can build it, anyone can. 

It used to be that if you contact Dana at Soniphase, he would give you the plans for free.

On 7/24/2019 at 12:07 AM, Drugolf said:

I am rebuilding the Speakerlab version of the K.  I stripped off the top hat and the front face board of the lower bin and have rebuilt those with hardwoods.  White Oak.

0510191346a.jpg

Woow, this looks great! May I ask how you did the cut-outs? I'm currently planning on building a set myself. Have redrawn the entire k-horn plans in CAD to EU plywood standards (12mm and 16mm). I'm now contemplating on either letting a CNC router do all the work (I have all the individual pieces drawn out into CAD  already, so should be easy to convert to a milling job) or let a professional sawing service do the job (I know they will deliver, but it's much more expensive). Any thoughts?

OP, if you need help understanding the plans; send me a PM. I also have some plans/builds saved myself.

Edited by Enzyme