Good Stuff For Sale: All Sold

Rivernuggets

A forum member asked if the Sunfire amp has any startup noise. Figured to respond here as well. 

It's always had a 'bump' when turning on and a smaller one when turning off. After a few seconds of turning off it gives a small chirp. Attached is a decent sound clip. You'll have to turn up your volume. The recorder is close to the amp, and you can even hear the slight hum of the amp itself. After the 'chirp', the amp is truly off with the power having left the caps.

This amp has been used in our living room HT (RF-7s, RC-7, RS-52s) for about nine years without any issue. I sent it in to Flannery's for a sprucing up only because its 20+ years old. Future proofing is a good thing.

Sunfire Cinema Grand On - Off.mp3

On 12/6/2019 at 9:15 AM, Rivernuggets said:

A forum member asked if the Sunfire amp has any startup noise. Figured to respond here as well. 

It's always had a 'bump' when turning on and a smaller one when turning off. After a few seconds of turning off it gives a small chirp. Attached is a decent sound clip. You'll have to turn up your volume. The recorder is close to the amp, and you can even hear the slight hum of the amp itself. After the 'chirp', the amp is truly off with the power having left the caps.

This amp has been used in our living room HT (RF-7s, RC-7, RS-52s) for about nine years without any issue. I sent it in to Flannery's for a sprucing up only because its 20+ years old. Future proofing is a good thing.

Sunfire Cinema Grand On - Off.mp3 426.1 kB · 7 downloads

I keep my 200X7 on, and the pre-pro is turned on and off.  Never a bump.  That said, I've never heard that squeak at any time.  Even turning it off for leaving the place for an extended time I don't get a bump but that is because everything else is off first.  For anyone looking for a great amp, even disregarding the very decent price, this is a smart way to go, especially in warmer climates due to how cool it runs.

11 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I keep my 200X7 on, and the pre-pro is turned on and off.  Never a bump.  That said, I've never heard that squeak at any time. 

Thanks. I have already deterred many from purchasing with the audio clip above. 

Even turning it off for leaving the place for an extended time I don't get a bump but that is because everything else is off first.

The amp was the only piece turned on and off during the audio clip. This has always had a startup and shutdown 'bump', and has given me a lot of enjoyment listening to music and watching movies.

...this is a smart way to go, especially in warmer climates due to how cool it runs.

Could you please clarify?

20 minutes ago, Rivernuggets said:

Could you please clarify?

Yes.  I did not mean that in reference to keeping the amp on.  I meant that the product is not only a great amp, but also does not give off very much heat, which is a huge bonus if you live in a warm climate.  I highly recommend this amp to anyone wanting more than enough clean power for their efficient speakers.  I would buy it if I needed it, based on my experience with my 200X7.

I will further explain why I keep mine in the on position.  When I first started using it (I got it used, so that should be another plus side for anyone considering this, because mine has never been refreshed yet has provided years of trouble free power) I put the power switch on standby, which provides power when it detects a signal.  Well, at very low television listening levels, it would turn off at times---turning up the volume would restart it.  To avoid this I just leave it in the on position, and as reported earlier, it has provided awesome performance for years.  Someone will get a killer deal out of this---if you need a great amp, at a great price, even if you only want to use 2 channels you should be jumping on it.

Thanks for your response and clarification.

25 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

When I first started using it....I put the power switch on standby, which provides power when it detects a signal.  Well, at very low television listening levels, it would turn off at times---turning up the volume would restart it.  To avoid this I just leave it in the on position, and as reported earlier, it has provided awesome performance for years.

Mine also turns off during low listening with the amp in Standby mode. I resorted to turning it on when needed. Didn't think of leaving it on all the time, though I'm quite sure my wife will not have an always-on amp. I asked Bill Flannery if he could make the Standby mode more sensitive but he said that was not an option.

Been using ATI amps in our HT now for about six months. Trigger inputs are (sadly) a big enough reason for letting this Sunfire go. Longest running amp I've owned so far. Don't like selling gear, especially stuff like this where it's rare to come by these days and sounds so good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...