1st Maryland Blue Crabs of the Summer

baron167

Wife and I had our first blue crabs of the summer this evening . Took advantage of a local waterman's sale. I steamed them with J..O. Spice # 2 and sweet white corn on the cob (not pictured). Really enjoyed them.3e81cb03e1b000b1c6580137304d1f7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Love blue crabs cooked with lemon grass. Have a good friend from Laos that prepares them. You can poison me on crab and I'd die happy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I would try them done with Lemon Grass. I have a buddy in Georgia that prefers Rosemary and other herbs.

2 hours ago, billybob said:

Usually like them boiled with Cajun boil and if any leftover, crab salad.

Florida but I like the idea of those...good for immune system....

I'm not opposed to boiled or Cajun spices, but I am partial to Maryland-caught blue crabs.😋

• Thanks 1

Brings back many fond memories of growing up in St. Michaels, MD...don't recall anything used on the eastern shore but Old Bay seasoning back in the 70's though...

J.O. is what restaurants use. They have been getting some traction the last few years now marketing lots of different spice mixes now being sold in some grocery stores and other places. We still serve with Old Bay on the side. We buy the large containers of Old Bay. It's a must for dipping as is melted butter (for us). And it goes on our corn. And I do Old Bay chicken wings [emoji4]

• Moderators
3 hours ago, baron167 said:

J.O. is what restaurants use. They have been getting some traction the last few years now marketing lots of different spice mixes now being sold in some grocery stores and other places. We still serve with Old Bay on the side. We buy the large containers of Old Bay. It's a must for dipping as is melted butter (for us). And it goes on our corn. And I do Old Bay chicken wings emoji4.png

Maby up in the North East, somewhat the same taste but have never heard of JO, Old bay yes but not to boil with with all the others available here, or just raw ingredients nothing premixed is the way we go.

But your availability of lobsters makes me jealous, I would't just steam them but boil like other seafood. 

Maby up in the North East, somewhat the same taste but have never heard of JO, Old bay yes but not to boil with with all the others available here, or just raw ingredients nothing premixed is the way we go.

But your availability of lobsters makes me jealous, I would't just steam them but boil like other seafood. 

I'm in Maryland. Maryland crab houses. If you go into a crab house here, they tend to have their crabs spices with something other than you can buy, or so it used to be. J.O. Is a small company that makes those custom blends for the crab houses and now sells the public. Boiled versus steamed? I like both, but prefer steamed. Anywho, no lobsters in the Chesapeake Bay.

• Like 1

• Moderators

But your much closer to where they are, I would guess cheaper but who knows. They are not cheap here and we only get the small ones, probably Florida lobsters?

Someone should try to get The JO stuff more national. There are many different kinds down here and they all seem to sell well so JO probably would also, can't have to many different seasonings. Boiled vs steamed, i like both, only because I really like that butter to dip it in. But would love to boil some lobsters like crawfish, very close in texture but may boil a little different. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dtel said:

But your much closer to where they are, I would guess cheaper but who knows. They are not cheap here and we only get the small ones, probably Florida lobsters?

Someone should try to get The JO stuff more national. There are many different kinds down here and they all seem to sell well so JO probably would also, can't have to many different seasonings. Boiled vs steamed, i like both, only because I really like that butter to dip it in. But would love to boil some lobsters like crawfish, very close in texture but may boil a little different. 

Down here they are Called bulldozers with only the tails harvested, preferred off of live or iced animal...then Frozen or fridged...

Down here they are Called bulldozers with only the tails harvested, preferred off of live or iced animal...then Frozen or fridged...

Florida? Harvested then grilled, not boiled.
My favorite seafood in Florida is Stone Crab claws.

• Thanks 1