1st Maryland Blue Crabs of the Summer

baron167

5 minutes ago, baron167 said:

I think i had my first ones there at Joe's. The original Joe's. There's an original one, correct? Then again in Key West. And several times after. Wife has them shipped from FL. One time around Christmas a couple years ago, our Annapolis Whole Foods had them and my lovely wife brought some home for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucky you... Original thinking since was the 50's... have the book handy but...yes...Miami Beach...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Joe's Crab Shack. Great Place!

Was there the week that Andrew hit we got out at the last minute Sat night before the Sun night landfall. Torrential rain from ft. la de da all the way to I-26 in SC

Sounds like you had a good time there eating at a famous establishment...well you and the Baron and Ian... good company...A nephew brought wife's car up from Homestead so they could have rear window replaced by another nephew...it was a black car and looked like it had been sandblasted... guess it had been...😚

• Like 2

Yep the one we were at was a long ways south from Lauderdale but not near Biscayne. The crowd was raucous when they ran out of the crabs and we all started banging the butts of our hammers on those heavy wooden tables. The staff freaked for a second then realized everyone was in a crazy-good mood and being childish having fun!

• Haha 2

Those are some nice looking Blue Claws. My grandfather taught my brother and me how to catch Blue Claws when we were kids. Take a wire hanger and open it up, skewer 4 or 5 Snapper heads (baby bluefish) onto the hanger and twist it back together. tie a rope onto it and toss overbaord. Grandpa would either smoke a cigarette or drink a beer and then tell us to slowly bring it up. With any luck you would have a couple of crabs chowing down. Catch them with the net and repeat. I miss being 9 years old, life was much more simple back then.

• Like 3