Heresy II Capacitors

AuditMan

I acquired last week a pair of Heresy II's manufactured in 1986.  I've read that an upgrade would be to change out the capacitors. Does anyone know if this model year has the old "oil can" capacitors?  If so, and I should replace them, how do I get to them as the back of the speakers are sealed?  It seems the easiest route would be to go through the woofer hole.  If so, how do I remove the woofer?  Any help is appreciated.

• Like 1

the woofer is screwed in from the front, remove the screws and you can remove the woofer but it will want to stay in place and you will have to give the cabinet some solid whacks on the back to unseat the woofer from the air tight gasket that it sits on but it will come out. A rubber mallet would be helpful and much easier on your hands, the woofer can really hang in there. Make sure that when the woofer lets go it will not be able to impact anything that might damage the cone when it pops out.

• Like 1

The HII doen't use the old motor run caps. All the part for the HII mount on a pc board attached to the input cup/binding posts.

My woofers weren't difficult at all to remove.

At that age, they could need replacement.  Listen first. 

I haven't seen an H-II crossover in a long time.  But try to use film and foil capacitors as replacements.  They seem to be getting disproportionately expensive, but they usually sound smoother.  You will need to be creative with placement because they are larger. 

Any H2 crossover should get updated from day one, Klipsch had to use some cheap parts to fit on the speaker input cup
Just my opinion

Dollar for dollar Klipsch has no equals
Name one other speaker company that can build a speaker and keep working like new after 45 plus years of service. Answer NO ONE !!!!!!