Crossover frequency setting for R-52C

cronuss

Seems the R-52C is the go-to center speaker for people who own the R-620f, 820f, 51M, etc.

I've found matching this with my R-620f to be a bit difficult. The R-52C is very bright and only goes down to 89hz. It is almost impossible to get any lows or mids out of it, nevermind trying to match that of the L/R. If set the crossover to 80hz it adds a tiny bit of depth, and I lost a tiny bit of clarity. If I set it to 90hz things tighten up a lot, but I lose a lot of the L/R and center oomph, such as when a car or jet is flying from one end to another, and in a lot of the sound effects, etc. I also feel that setting the crossover at 90hz+ defeats some of the purpose of my floorstanding speakers. I do have a BiC PL-200 II but it doesn't feel the same for side to side and front and center depth in the mid range.

I tried an RP-400C instead, and it sounds way deeper and heavier with my setup, but I completely lose the upper end clarity (not sure if this is by design or a timbre issue).

I'm a little confused at why this thing has so little mid and low end with the 2x5.25" woofers... the R-400C has way more depth, and even my R-51M bookshelf has more low and depth and goes down to 62hz. Why is this the speaker that is supposedly matched with these R-620f/R-820f when it can't seem to keep up at all? Am I using the wrong speaker, should I get something else?

I suppose that is a separate question, and I am going off topic... my main question here is: What do people use for a crossover on their R-52C? 

Two quick side questions:

If the R-52C only goes down to 89hz, if I set an 80hz crossover, am I "losing" the sounds between 81-89hz, since 80 and below go to the sub and 89+ go to the speaker?

What is the consensus on setting different crossovers for different channels? Such as setting the center at 90hz and the L/R at 80hz? In my testing, this seems to produce unbalanced and muddier sounds with less clarity?

Thanks!

Edited by cronuss

• 1 year later...

Hey Cronuss,

Stumbbled across this while looking for answers to the same question. Thinking of running my speakers at 80hz but wondering if the R-52 can be set to that as only goes down to 89hz, but have read to go 10hz above. What did you end up doing 

thanks

On 7/24/2019 at 8:21 AM, cronuss said:

Seems the R-52C is the go-to center speaker for people who own the R-620f, 820f, 51M, etc.

I've found matching this with my R-620f to be a bit difficult. The R-52C is very bright and only goes down to 89hz. It is almost impossible to get any lows or mids out of it, nevermind trying to match that of the L/R. If set the crossover to 80hz it adds a tiny bit of depth, and I lost a tiny bit of clarity. If I set it to 90hz things tighten up a lot, but I lose a lot of the L/R and center oomph, such as when a car or jet is flying from one end to another, and in a lot of the sound effects, etc. I also feel that setting the crossover at 90hz+ defeats some of the purpose of my floorstanding speakers. I do have a BiC PL-200 II but it doesn't feel the same for side to side and front and center depth in the mid range.

I tried an RP-400C instead, and it sounds way deeper and heavier with my setup, but I completely lose the upper end clarity (not sure if this is by design or a timbre issue).

I'm a little confused at why this thing has so little mid and low end with the 2x5.25" woofers... the R-400C has way more depth, and even my R-51M bookshelf has more low and depth and goes down to 62hz. Why is this the speaker that is supposedly matched with these R-620f/R-820f when it can't seem to keep up at all? Am I using the wrong speaker, should I get something else?

I suppose that is a separate question, and I am going off topic... my main question here is: What do people use for a crossover on their R-52C? 

Two quick side questions:

If the R-52C only goes down to 89hz, if I set an 80hz crossover, am I "losing" the sounds between 81-89hz, since 80 and below go to the sub and 89+ go to the speaker?

What is the consensus on setting different crossovers for different channels? Such as setting the center at 90hz and the L/R at 80hz? In my testing, this seems to produce unbalanced and muddier sounds with less clarity?

Thanks!

Hey Cronuss,

Stumbbled across this while looking for answers to the same question. Thinking of running my speakers at 80hz but wondering if the R-52 can be set to that as only goes down to 89hz, but have read to go 10hz above. What did you end up doing 

thanks

• 1 year later...