Ported Heresy?

Drugolf

I am working on a set of Heresy's for a friend with a recap to start with, but it appears someone changed out the baffle at some point and added a couple round ports that flank the tweeter up top.  Any thoughts on what the net is on this move?

This has been a long known mod, if not very common. I have a pair like that. but the port is in the rear.  I like the sound, but never compared it to non ported.. I should try to cover the port to see. 

Also several of the Heresy type  pro pa speakers such as KP301 have 2 ports also.  

• Like 1

All of the factory motorboards I've seen have been black. 

I agree those ports look too small and far too short to help a cabinet of that relatively small volume.  I guess I need to model a Heresy in Bassbox. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, eq_shadimar said:

I can't comment on the length but the placement looks like they are in the same place as my HIP-2 (Heresy 2 Industrial Ported) model.  This is the best center channel speaker I have heard.

FBIMG_1623.jpg

Interesting.  Can you do me a favor and measure the diameter of those ports and length of the tubes?  Also, is that cabinet the same dimension as a non-industrial heresy?  Do you know if it still uses a Type E-2 crossover?  It appears the horns and woofer are much closer configured and thus the motor board is lot smaller.....or that woofer is larger.

Edited by Drugolf
additional info

11 minutes ago, Marvel said:

It looks a lot bigger due to the front mounting of all the drivers/horns.

Yeah, I realized that after posting that.  Makes it easier to remove and replace the pieces I guess as needed.

Reading that this is more of a KP-250 solution rather than an HIP.

Edited by Drugolf

Ok a couple of answers.  The cabinet size is the exact same size as a standard Hersey.  The motorboard is also exactly the same layout as all other Hersey II's of the same era (minus the ports of course) and the same as the newly released Hersey III's as well.  I should be able to take the measurements on the tubes that you want and check the crossover but cannot promise when that will happen.  Maybe this weekend.

Laters,

Jeff

• Like 1

Well looky here.  Someone was smart enough to take a picture (and save it all this time) of the crossover the last time they took the woofer out to fix a rattle 😀  Also included other random shots of the inside and woofer.  As far as I know the speaker is totally stock.  I have not made any changes to it:

FBIMG_1618.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eq_shadimar said:

Ok a couple of answers.  The cabinet size is the exact same size as a standard Hersey.  The motorboard is also exactly the same layout as all other Hersey II's of the same era (minus the ports of course) and the same as the newly released Hersey III's as well.  I should be able to take the measurements on the tubes that you want and check the crossover but cannot promise when that will happen.  Maybe this weekend.

Laters,

Jeff

Nah, don't worry about it.   The only thing I feel I need to do with these would be to recap and then make sure these ports are not totally screwing them up.  I will simply so the recap and then see how they sound.

You might try plugging the ports temporarily to see the difference.  If they were mine, I would find a metal can or PVC pipe in the same, or slightly larger diameter, to use as a cookie cutter with closed cell foam.  Stuffing foam cylinders in the ports would seal them enough for test purposes.  If they soiund better without ports, you could seal the ports permanently.  If you find tubing the same diameter as the ports, you could insert tubes of varying lengths into the ports to assess the results.