Gain matching amps on Biamp system

I use a First Watt SIT3  “11.5 dB gain” for the HF (Klipsch K402 w 3” Radian 760 drivers) and a pair of Pass Labs Aleph 2 “20 dB gain” for the LF (Klipsch 904 w k45k drivers)

Use Marchand XM44-4 for crossovers. Path is Auralic Vega G2 … Marchand… HF SIT3 … LF Aleph 2. Called Mark at Renohifi and at his suggestion contacted Kent English at Pass Labs. Kent suggested I try Harrison Labs RCA signal path attenuators “metal film resistors”.  Put a pair of -3dB at connection to SIT3 and -12dB at connection to Aleph 2.

(they do not make -9dB attenuators otherwise I could have installed one pair to Aleph 2). It works really well but would like to use balanced connections to the Aleph 2. Any suggestions or other reasonable alternatives to gain balance the amps is greatly appreciated. 

4 hours ago, Jim Gregory said:

I use a First Watt SIT3  “11.5 dB gain” for the HF (Klipsch K402 w 3” Radian 760 drivers) and a pair of Pass Labs Aleph 2 “20 dB gain” for the LF (Klipsch 904 w k45k drivers)

Use Marchand XM44-4 for crossovers. Path is Auralic Vega G2 … Marchand… HF SIT3 … LF Aleph 2. Called Mark at Renohifi and at his suggestion contacted Kent English at Pass Labs. Kent suggested I try Harrison Labs RCA signal path attenuators “metal film resistors”.  Put a pair of -3dB at connection to SIT3 and -12dB at connection to Aleph 2.

(they do not make -9dB attenuators otherwise I could have installed one pair to Aleph 2). It works really well but would like to use balanced connections to the Aleph 2. Any suggestions or other reasonable alternatives to gain balance the amps is greatly appreciated. 

Why not use the attenuate'r on the Marchand ?  I have used Marchand for YEARS and never had an issue where the amps could not be balanced. (Of course I always use amps with gain controls) I also use my ears to determine balanced sound

The amps I used before also had adjustable gain controls. The Marchand has 12 position stepped attenuators @ 1 dB steps. I understood this to be for leveling volume. Have I misunderstood and this is control is for adjusting gain to the amplifier ?

It appears the level controls are +/- 6 dB with unity gain at the midpoint according to their website.  If you need more separation than that I guess you could insert a resistor in series with the level controls which need even more attenuation.

What steps are you taking to shape the signal going to the 402s so they achieve a flattened response (as constant directivity horns require)?

12 minutes ago, guf said:

just an observation... are we using gain and volume as if they are the same thing?  

Good point yea I don't know. Maybe even step back further, did it sound wrong without any attenuation? Because all of this is just playing around without a calibrated measurement mic and REW or similar.

What I can say is thank God and human engineering for 24 bit 96kHz active digital crossovers :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, babadono said:

Good point yea I don't know. Maybe even step back further, did it sound wrong without any attenuation? Because all of this is just playing around without a calibrated measurement mic and REW or similar.

What I can say is thank God and human engineering for 24 bit 96kHz active digital crossovers :)

i never could get that figured out.  

38 minutes ago, guf said:

just an observation... are we using gain and volume as if they are the same thing?  

16 minutes ago, babadono said:

Good point yea I don't know. Maybe even step back further, … 

13 hours ago, Jim Gregory said:

After stepping way back, I am curious about what these "gain" specs reference.

3 hours ago, glens said:

It appears the level controls are +/- 6 dB with unity gain at the midpoint according to their website.  If you need more separation than that I guess you could insert a resistor in series with the level controls which need even more attenuation.

What steps are you taking to shape the signal going to the 402s so they achieve a flattened response (as constant directivity horns require)?

Just trying to gain match the amplifiers right now, later will attempt some EQing.  

3 hours ago, MenloBob said:

I use one of these to attenuate the signal for the amplifier channels driving my K510s. It is very transparent, using a very nice ALPS 27 pot. Has both balanced and unbalanced connections.

Thank You. I will take a look at this as well.