Help me build my Home Theater!

schwock5

Hey All!

So for years i've been in an apartment with my system, but now i'm finally closing on a condo with a basement where i can have my dedicated theater!

Can't wait to crank this to reference level and have a subwoofer!

Looking for the community's help in accomplishing this.

Not sure if this should have been posted in "architecture" or not, but figured i'd start here.

Gear wise there won't be many changes. (see current gear in signature)

I recently purchased 4 RP500-SA's for Atmos since my loft had 12 ft ceilings, but now that it will be a basement with lower ceiling i'll be looking to sell/trade these for some in-ceilings (let me know if anyone is interested). wish i knew i was buying a house before getting these!

are the CDT-5800 C II in-ceilings overkill for atmos?

Also is this recommended for them?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001I1Q16C/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AKR88PAWTQVN2&psc=1

Beyond that i will finally pick up a subwoofer. Given the room size and budget currently looking at the SVS PB3000 since it has the app support and EQ and i'd like to play around with REW at some point. Probably check out the isolation feet as well if anyone has any feedback on those.

At this point i'm looking to get a few contractors (and have a local Hi-Fi shop coming as well) to look at the space and advise and give an estimate.

If anyone has any advice on that process, estimated cost given the below (this isn't a huge whole basement, but a small section), or anyone in the greater Boston area that could help or recommend, send away!

I already have a good idea of the layout, but really need the room finished.(framing since just concrete, sound proof isolation, dry wall, ceilings, electric, flooring, etc).

The 1st floor is kitchen/living room, so there is a floor separation between the basement and bedrooms, but i'd like to reduce noise and vibrations since it's connected to the neighbors as well. 

I've uploaded the preliminary room specs / layout, but really need budget advice, what to look out for, or anything others have come across int heir process that could help me.

There's a water heater i'd like to move to create more space (but could be put in a closet), and currently there's an HVAC duct below the beams that would really lower the ceiling, so i'd like to somehow move that as well. Also will run a dedicated 15a line to the room (20a seems excessive since klipsch are easy to drive, room is small, etc)

Currently don't need to build the bar or even paint, that can be done in phases, but need the bare bones in for now.

Capture.PNG

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2019 at 1:42 PM, schwock5 said:

are the CDT-5800 C II in-ceilings overkill for atmos?

Also is this recommended for them?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001I1Q16C/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AKR88PAWTQVN2&psc=1

Easily the most popular choice for Atmos.  However you can get the 5650's if you want to save a few bucks, they do about the same thing, not much difference for Atmos.  

The back boxes aren't really necessary all the time.  Really needs to be new construction before using them at all.  They are for false ceilings in a commercial environment which is required to have these for fireproofing.  Typically not required in a residential area unless local codes dictate that for some reason.  Really the only thing it's really good for is keeping the back wave from emanating throughout the house, like if you have a bedroom above the theater room, maybe consider it.  However, burying the speaker in insulation or using "can light" type of covers can do about the same thing for cheaper.