Shorthorn Model T dimensions/rear slot?

I know these are rare, but I thought I would throw it out here:

I am thinking about building a Shorthorn model T (lowboy version) for a center channel to go with my early Khorns.

The components will be the Stephens Tru-sonic 103LX, K-1000/SAHF, University 4401 and K-1000/5000.

I can get the general dimensions, but am unclear about the construction of the rear of the cabinet (see pics below).  I assume it has a slot rear port like the S version (second to last pic; The T is supposed to have better bass).

Anyone have any pics or plan views?  I did find plans some in a search, but links were bad.

57 shorthorn T 1.jpg

57 shorthorn T 3.jpg

57 shorthorn T 4.jpg

57 shorthorn T 5.jpg

shorthorn s bck view.jpg

shorthorn1.jpg

Edited by hanksjim1
added pic

Different approach...can someone point me to an online calculator for approximating the rear slot size needed (easy to use for the non engineers among us)? 

I doubt the complete list of specs is available for the 15" 16 OHM 103LX Stephens Tru-Sonic woofer, but hoping I can come up with enough cabinet internal volume and driver spec estimates to get within the ballpark on slot dimensions.

From what I remember PWK did not liked that speaker.

Wouldn't be better to build central speaker with same set of drivers you have in KHorns? You could build Corn(wall/scala) for better consistency with rest of your system.

Sure...I also have Heresys and could just throw one in there...I am curious about what the Shorthorn model T would sound like in a system with vintage components all around.

I am also building a set of University Classics and Jensen Tri-Plex 200s.

For me the journey is as fun as the final "destination".

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

No wonder the sound from the model T reportedly had substantially more bass than the vertical model S units. 

I found this pic from some prior postings by vintage Klipsch fan Funkyhambone on Shorthorn restoration (doesn't appear to active on the site anymore).

Looks like a quasi bifurcated horn implementation.

Still hoping to get more particulars on the rear slot construction details.

shorthorn T cabinet inside closeup w_arrow.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I will take some measurements of mine tomorrow if you still need them.  I'm adding some pics of mine.  I'm going to restore it, it is completely empty other than an original grill cloth and frame.  I guess the rest of the cabinet may be the painted lacquer finish that was available?  It doesn't match the grill frame-it is veneered. 
I would like to keep it as original as possible, but still look good. No grill cloth on the sides, so matching those is not possible.  I have a type 2 crossover I will use, just need to find some drivers and horns and a 15" sub. 
This is the cabinet I bought from the pilgrimage 

auction Jim had several years ago of extra "stuff" in storage.  I think there were less than 50 of these produced.  Any advice on components would be appreciated. 

Kevin

BE11D265-3FEC-4C9F-B9DE-60BFC365AE3E.jpeg

773FE4BB-1F96-4C8E-A25C-DC5839CA6265.jpeg

79C417A2-2FF0-4394-A4B0-3306763E0805.jpeg

97C367AD-84F7-45D6-BBF2-28E960AA60BB.jpeg

F52FBE33-3372-4717-84CC-3E992EDC4642.jpeg