Volti Audio klipschorn upgrades

Shakeydeal

27 minutes ago, kevinmi said:

I don't have Greg's mods, but I built my own 2" tractric wood horns, and the difference is amazing. Really opened up the sound.

K-Horns 002-30.jpg

How did you determine the shape of these? Thinking hard about doing something along these lines too.

Dave, I think most are using Erik Forker's spreadsheet to plot the diffeent curvers. He's in Germany, and his website is:

wp.volvotreter.de

Please note, the way he plots the horns are rotated 90 degrees, with left/right sides as flat. He has lots of good articles, too.

Bruce

24 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Dave, I think most are using Erik Forker's spreadsheet to plot the diffeent curvers. He's in Germany, and his website is:

wp.volvotreter.de

Please note, the way he plots the horns are rotated 90 degrees, with left/right sides as flat. He has lots of good articles, too.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce. I have been pondering mid horns for some time now. I keep coming back to the idea of machining something like Maple butcher blocks stacked and glued together and wonder about the various designs out there. Probably will opt to just cut another concave elliptical shape though since they seem to test well in smaller sizes.

Just went to his site and had a look at his workshop. He does a lot with a minimal amount of space and tools. Those pondering whether they can do something like this should have a look to see it does not require a huge outlay in tooling cost to build things.

03250006.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 8:41 AM, kevinmi said:

I don't have Greg's mods, but I built my own 2" tractric wood horns, and the difference is amazing. Really opened up the sound.

K-Horns 002-30.jpg

Kevin-

After seeing this, I’m even more eager for the Genesee County edition of a Southeast  Michigan gathering.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Thanks for the reply. Can you share what specific improvements you heard?

Thx

Sure, the sound opened up qite a bit there is a much bigger soundstage and everything got really smooth. No more honking and edgeyness...

11 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm torn between upgrading the khorns and just going for a set of jubilees from Cory. I really don't want to biamp, that's one of the negatives for me.

Shakey

I have a set of full Volti upgraded Belles. I also have an almost identical set of mostly original Belles. The upgraded ones do sound nicer at times, but pretty much the same which is a good thing. I like them both very much. I bought the upgraded ones after the changes had been done. I got one heck of a great deal on them (plus the old parts). Had I paid full price, I feel I may have been disappointed. Dont get me wrong, they are nice but I am cheap son of a gun and for that investment, I would have wanted more. Your finances may be different.

Based on the post above, I would say go for the Jubes. The improvements to your Khorns will be real but maybe not enough to stop you from thinking about the Jubes. May be a good idea to skip a step and go for it. 

Just one more free opinion!

• Like 2

I have all of Gregs mods minus the Crites woofers and his x-overs on Khorns.   Its a different speaker now.  I have heard Jubs on 3 separate occasions and I still want a set one of these days, but I don't know if I could give my modded K's up for Jubes.   The soundstage is huge, the detail with the BMS mids are very clean and a step or three above easily. I made my mods in stages and honestly I think you can get 75% of the improvement just going with his larger mids and leaving your networks and drivers alone.  Im still of fan of the K 55 and 77 combo even though there are improvements to be bought in drivers.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 9:09 AM, Dave A said:

How did you determine the shape of these? Thinking hard about doing something along these lines too.

I wanted a horn the width of the K-Horns bass bin, which is 26 inches. I wanted a true 2:1 ratio, so I just punched in the numbers on the spreadsheet until I came as close as I could.I think I had to stretch the length out a tad to make it exact. I am using passive crossovers built by some DeanG guy. They have adjustable attenuation, so I can dial in the right mix. The 2" exit drivers will put out more sound than the standard K-55's usually, so it's a good idea to be able to scale them back to match the bass bin output.

The reason I didn't go the Jube route is because I don't have the space for them, but I'm not complaining.

17 minutes ago, kevinmi said:

The reason I didn't go the Jube route is because I don't have the space for them, but I'm not complaining.

Never had Khorns and Jubes at the same time, but I though they both occupied the same footprint when in the corners?